WLP644 -Brett B Trois

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crap, I wish I had done a little more research on this strain and the starter needed before I jumped into my first all Brett beer.

I thought it looked a little different from other wlp vials as there was not as much sediment in the bottom as there usually is. I didn't think much of it til today.

I brewed a 50% Belgian Pale, 50% Wheat beer yesterday, 1.053 OG. Hopped with all Nelson Sauvin to about 40 IBU's. I pitched 2 vials of 644 right into the carboy. It's been about 20 hours & I have zero activity. Guess all I can do is wait & see what happens.

Well my grossly under pitched beer I ended up tossing! Personally, I would suggest throwing in a vial of a Belgian yeast of some kind but not sure if that will help by the time you get it and tore it in. Not sure as I haven't done more than 2 full Brett beers but good luck!

Crap, I wish I had done a little more research on this strain and the starter needed before I jumped into my first all Brett beer.

I thought it looked a little different from other wlp vials as there was not as much sediment in the bottom as there usually is. I didn't think much of it til today.

I brewed a 50% Belgian Pale, 50% Wheat beer yesterday, 1.053 OG. Hopped with all Nelson Sauvin to about 40 IBU's. I pitched 2 vials of 644 right into the carboy. It's been about 20 hours & I have zero activity. Guess all I can do is wait & see what happens.

Two vials should be plenty. It will work. Just give it time. I did a standard starter for my 100% Brett Trois beer - just like any ale strain - and it turned out to be one of the best beers I ever made.

RDWHAHB :mug:

Two vials should be plenty. It will work. Just give it time. I did a standard starter for my 100% Brett Trois beer - just like any ale strain - and it turned out to be one of the best beers I ever made.

RDWHAHB :mug:

Yeah, it seemed to pick up last night and is going good now. I'm just not used to that much lag time.

I still have 1 vial of 644 Im planning to use with something else. I will definitely make a starter with that first. I'm gonna have this cake too, I was thinking about a Fruit Beer maybe when this is done.
:mug:

any had issues with acetone aroma/mild flavor with this strain?

I have a ~ 2month old berliner weisse (no boil) that I soured the wort for a few days in a corny and then pitched a large starter of Trois and it has a nose/taste of acetone. My starter for my upcoming Trois XPA has the same nose on it as well

Yeah, it seemed to pick up last night and is going good now. I'm just not used to that much lag time.

I still have 1 vial of 644 Im planning to use with something else. I will definitely make a starter with that first. I'm gonna have this cake too, I was thinking about a Fruit Beer maybe when this is done.
:mug:

I'm guessing if you have been doing your homework since your last pitch you know this, but just make sure you give your starter a long period of time to grow. I believe it is usually about 20 something days that was suggested from Chad Yakobson from Crooked stave. There are I guess three stages of growth in brett growth. Interesting stuff!
Good luck with your one batch, hopefully it will turn out better than mine did!

any had issues with acetone aroma/mild flavor with this strain?

I have a ~ 2month old berliner weisse (no boil) that I soured the wort for a few days in a corny and then pitched a large starter of Trois and it has a nose/taste of acetone. My starter for my upcoming Trois XPA has the same nose on it as well

I've had a few starters that smelt like this, but never a finished beer (so far). If you look at Chad Yakobson's research, he found that some strains of brett produce higher levels of ethyl acetate when pitched into pre-soured wort (see here, p.20, 32), so that might explain what you're seeing. I would give it more time though, as these flavours might dissipate or be further modified by the brett.

Acetone smell is ethyl acetate and sure fire evidence of acetobacter infection. Limiting air contact is key to preventing this, as alcohol is converted by acetobacter into acetic acid in the presence of oxygen. The acetate will then react with some ethanol, making ethyl acetate.

If the acetone is real bad you can blend. It's pleasant and fruity at lower concentrations. Doesn't really age out tho, at least not after a year in my experience.

Just put together an all citra wheat APA with all brett trois. Made a quick starter for 5 days then pitched, had activity in the fermentor in 12hrs. Bubbling away steadily at 72, blowoff smells delicious!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

One gallon of 1800 Whitbread London Porter.
The Durden Park recipe says"quality ale yeast", doesn't get much more quality than BBT

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Home Brew mobile app

Have 5.25 gallons in the fermenter of an IPA with only wlp644. I am excited about this batch, did a hop stand for 45 minutes with 2.25oz of citra and centennial, fruit bomb is the goal. Hopefully I didn't overdo the golden naked oats, did two pounds, but from what I read it isn't that sweet like normal crystal so hopefully itll add complexity with a nice body.

Got a starter going last night for a batch I'm brewing this weekend. My first all Brett beer with a simple grain bill. 7.5lbs pilsner, 1.5lb malted wheat, 1lb raw wheat and 4oz of Nelson Sauvin. Can't wait to get it going.

Got a starter going last night for a batch I'm brewing this weekend. My first all Brett beer with a simple grain bill. 7.5lbs pilsner, 1.5lb malted wheat, 1lb raw wheat and 4oz of Nelson Sauvin. Can't wait to get it going.

Several folks have mentioned that the Brett starters take longer to grow. May want to verify before you potentially underpitch.

TD

Several folks have mentioned that the Brett starters take longer to grow. May want to verify before you potentially underpitch.

TD

I have seen that throughout this thread and elsewhere as well and am aware I am potentially underpitching this beer but I have seen several earlier on in this thread had success with shorter starter times so I'm willing to take the risk. My 2l starter is going really strong today at ambient temps of 76 and will report back with fermentation results as they happen.

Sounds good. I like your plan so be sure to let us know how it turns out. One thing I recall is that folks said it smelled great during fermentation, but the citrus aromas didn't carry into the finished beer, which is a bummer if you ask me.
Seems like you had read all about it, so was glad you're already aware of my caution.
Let us know how yours turns out. Are you planning to oxygenate the wort for the beer?

TD

I use a chugger pump to transfer the beer from the bk through the plate chiller and that process oxygenates the beer pretty well, so yes I will be oxygenating and am hoping for a more tart/funky end result.

My 2l starter is going really strong today at ambient temps of 76 and will report back with fermentation results as they happen.

trois always acts quick for me, if you're already showing strong activity it will def be fine to use this weekend

I use a chugger pump to transfer the beer from the bk through the plate chiller and that process oxygenates the beer pretty well, so yes I will be oxygenating and am hoping for a more tart/funky end result.

if funky is what you're after, 100% isn't really the proper route, its more like tropical fruit

trois always acts quick for me, if you're already showing strong activity it will def be fine to use this weekend

if funky is what you're after, 100% isn't really the proper route, its more like tropical fruit

Yeah, I just checked the starter that has already started building a nice layer of growth. Went to swirl it (no stirplate) and the thing went all volcano on me. Needless to say I'm super impressed with the growth of this strain. I don't expect super funky, but from what I have read I am hoping to get some tartness from the yeast from the oxygen as opposed to only fruit from no oxygen.

Same with my starter, and in 4 days my IPA went from 1.072 to 1.024. Not checking again til day 12 where I am hoping to cold crash for two days and on day 14 dry hop. That was with a 1.5l stir-plate starter. It had no lag time either, significant airlock activity within 8 hours, and I did not oxygenate the IPA's wort fwiw.

Just brewed this recipe and split a gallon off and used trois and the rest is s05
8lbs 2-row
1.5lb munich 10 L
1lb flaked wheat
1lb malted wheat
.5 lb C40

.6 oz amarillo 60
1 oz amarillo 20
1.5 oz 5 mintues
.2 flameout

got about 5.5 gallons and put 1 gallon in a mayo bucket with trois. It's been a couple days but the trois section looks to be through it's high krausen while the us05 is still going. I made a 1.6 liter starter and the next day pitched about a liter of it. It was bubbling by then. Smells great! I'll probably bottle both after the 2 week mark and then compare. How's bottle conditioning brett beer worked for you?

I brewed Oldsock's 100% All Brett IPA recipe using Brett B Trois a week ago. I just pulled a sample to measure and the mango aroma was absolutely incredible. It tasted good, too.

Hi,
I've skimmed through this thread and it appears that this yeast is a perfect choice for an all brett IPA. It also appears that this yeast works real fast (as compared to other Brett strains). Does this yeast give off any sourness? Or Brett character at all? Or is it all tropical fruit? Sorry if this has been answered, I probably should read the whole thread. I ask because I'm looking to brew a Wheat Saison with a touch of sourness, think HF Florence, and I was wondering if this yeast would work. Thanks!
-Mike

Hi,
I've skimmed through this thread and it appears that this yeast is a perfect choice for an all brett IPA. It also appears that this yeast works real fast (as compared to other Brett strains). Does this yeast give off any sourness? Or Brett character at all? Or is it all tropical fruit? Sorry if this has been answered, I probably should read the whole thread. I ask because I'm looking to brew a Wheat Saison with a touch of sourness, think HF Florence, and I was wondering if this yeast would work. Thanks!
-Mike

Check out Oldsock's recipe and tasting notes at http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2012/07/100-brett-trois-ipa-recipe.html

Pitched the 2L starter that I made on 2/26 into 5gal of aerated 1.05og single hopped Saison with Nelson Sauvin wort on Saturday 3/01 and it was going like mad in about 8 hours. The starter smelled super fruity and so does the fast and furious fermentation. Fermenting at an ambient air temp of around 73F. I plan to let it sit 2-3 weeks before checking gravity.

Pitched a pint of slurry into 5.5gal of 1.062 wort the other day and it was bubbling in 4 hours, needed a blowoff the next day. Smells awesome!

Just bottled my first brett trois with a huge hop bill and blend. Came out awesome, big aromas, smooth flavors and great mouthfeel. No typical belgian flavors at all. Probably my favorite ipa yet.

Recently did our regular hoppy beer grist with columbus, apollo, mosaic, and nelson, using trois. Very unique smell and unusual fermentation. We used a 2L starter, which resulted in a very vigorous fermentation for ~36 hours. It then starting dropping clear and ceased airlock activity for about 10 days. Two days ago, a small krausen suddenly reformed, and it has been bubbling slowly and steadily since then. Will take a gravity sample and add dry hops once it has stopped again.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Took a gravity reading last night. Down to 1.012 from 1.050 in 12 days. It hadn't shown any signs of activity in about a week. I am hoping it kicks up again to drop a few point lower, but the taste is wonderful. Definitely brett, but very fruity and not overly funky. Anxious to see how it develops over time after bottling

Took a gravity reading last night. Down to 1.012 from 1.050 in 12 days. It hadn't shown any signs of activity in about a week. I am hoping it kicks up again to drop a few point lower, but the taste is wonderful. Definitely brett, but very fruity and not overly funky. Anxious to see how it develops over time after bottling

Pic ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394815254.928769.jpg

New favorite yeast. Fast, great attenuation, great mouthfeel and flavors. Highly recommended. I've only done ipas so far but will continue to experiment and see if I can tone down the fruity flavors and make a nice thick porter

Thinking of a Florida Weisse using trois and lacto aged on blueberries and oak. I wonder how that would be. Low gravity like, 1.03. What's the consensus?

Thinking of a Florida Weisse using trois and lacto aged on blueberries and oak. I wonder how that would be. Low gravity like, 1.03. What's the consensus?

Well that sounds really good, although I haven't done anything like it. Would live to hear how it comes out if you do it. Brett first then lactose towards the end or what were you thinking?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Home Brew mobile app

Just made a 1l starter with this strain and couldnt find the cap to hold a airlock that fits on a growler so went with aluminum foil. I used one step and threw the piece of foil in for like 10 minutes. Changed the color of the foil to a almost milky grey color. Anyone see a problem with this?

I was thinking Brett followed by lactic. Use a more complex grain bill than normally used for a Berliner since it needs more complex sugars to get the fruit characters from trois. After about half the gravity is gone add the lacto. I'm guessing the point I add the lacto will determine the tartness, of course time too. From there when final gravity is reached transfer to the blueberries and possibly some light toast oak soaked in some undecided wine. Thinking something along the lines of alamanac farmers reserve series. Although they use sach. I'm more just going for a refreshing florida summer beer. I know some blueberry farmers so that's a good source. Maye go for 1.25 lbs per gallon. So instead of just a pils wheat grain bill maybe some munich in small amount.

Disclaimer: I have not made a Berliner yet, I know farmers to barrell are not Berliners as well but still has some properties I would like to incorporate.

I always use foil, never sanitize it, never problems and I have done lots of starters, bottle harvests etc.

Does this yeast normally take linger to get a starter going?

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

Back