Orange Blossom - yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EndlessPurple

Reaction score
The grocery store had some orange blossom honey on sale tonight, so I picked up a 7 pounds. I have not had a chance to make a batch of mead with it before and thought it would be fun to use something other than wildflower.

Before I started it, I wanted to see which yeast people have had the most success with when making a traditional mead with orange blossom honey?

(I was thikning about a 2 gallon batch with 6lbs and save the last one for backsweetening)

You probably won't find a clear winner for traditionals. Anything from lalvin or the red star yeasts can shine. The important thing is procedure: SNA, temp control, aeration, etc. As far as backsweetening, these will take your recipe relatively dry.

I guess my next traditional I will use ... K1V? We'll see, tho.

You probably won't find a clear winner for traditionals. Anything from lalvin or the red star yeasts can shine. The important thing is procedure: SNA, temp control, aeration, etc. As far as backsweetening, these will take your recipe relatively dry.

I guess my next traditional I will use ... K1V? We'll see, tho.
First choice for me would be D21. Though second choice would be K1-V1116.

Sounds good.

I keep thinking about getting a pail at some point since I really like the honey. This is my first chance to make mead with it.

have you guys tried the Melia made by Rabbit's Foot Meadery? I was wondering if that's what you would use to make it since it's an Orange Blossom Mead

:ban:I made a blackberry melomel with orange blossom and D-47 that came out so good my wife fell in love with me again. I started another batch 2weeks ago.

Both D47 and 71B carry caveats worthy of mention.

D47 should be fermented below 70F as it's been found to produce fusels in honey musts when fermented above that....

71B produces a nice(r) tasting young mead but if its left on the lees its been found that it can give autolysis type off flavours - the suggested maximum time that seems ok is about 2 months after the completion of the ferment. Now that seems to be a guesstimate but people from various forums indicate that time span as being ok.....

D47 should be fermented below 70F as it's been found to produce fusels in honey musts when fermented above that....

71B produces a nice(r) tasting young mead but if its left on the lees its been found that it can give autolysis type off flavours - the suggested maximum time that seems ok is about 2 months after the completion of the ferment. Now that seems to be a guesstimate but people from various forums indicate that time span as being ok.....

I agree with fat bloke d47 is great I keep my temp around 58 when using it....once tho I let it go at 68 to 70 and the Mead has a bit of an off flavor that every one could taste.....

71b how ever is my baby when adding fruit I never let set more then a month and then I rack it once a months after. Its my impatient yeast LOL. Gives me some thing to do while the d47 ages

fatbloke said:

Hmmm, I'm about to do a hibiscus mead and wanted it to be sweeter and was going to use D47. any other suggestions that would be better for a sweeter mead or so D47 still the way to go?

Got the mead going by the way. However the yeast decision was pretty much made for me as not much mentioned was carried or in stock, and of course I did not want to wait. Ended up with the 212 which is really finicky and needy. So far though, I am babysitting it nicely and it is working along.

I did have my oops moment in mead making on it though. While refilling the airlock, the jug splashed and about a teaspoon or so went down into the primary. While I know it wont hurt me to drink it, did I just screw up the taste of the mead?

About a week old, 2.4 gallons of orange blossom mead and 1-1.5 teaspoons of star san went in?

Got the mead going by the way. However the yeast decision was pretty much made for me as not much mentioned was carried or in stock, and of course I did not want to wait. Ended up with the 212 which is really finicky and needy. So far though, I am babysitting it nicely and it is working along.

I did have my oops moment in mead making on it though. While refilling the airlock, the jug splashed and about a teaspoon or so went down into the primary. While I know it wont hurt me to drink it, did I just screw up the taste of the mead?

About a week old, 2.4 gallons of orange blossom mead and 1-1.5 teaspoons of star san went in?
RC-212 isn't finicky at all. Its a prettg robust yeast, just that it has higher nutrient needs. Just watch out for any signs of H2S (rotten egg) oduor. Usually sorted by a good stir to oxygenate followex by a dose of nutrient/energiser.

As for the star san ? I don't use it. I use home mixed sanitiser of 5 crushed campden tablets and 1 teaspoon of citric acid mixed in a pint of water, which I keep in a hand spray. That lasts fine for a month or so and I just wash everything in soap and water then rinse it off and spray it with the sanitiser and leave it for 2 or 3 minutes contact time. Plus I fill my airlocks with it as it won't harm the batch if it gets in by accident.

sounds tastier than the star san might be.

I might invest in a cheap vodka for the air locks then I don't have to worry about my clumsiness.

-----snip-----
I might invest in a cheap vodka for the air locks then I don't have to worry about my clumsiness.
you can indeed do that, but you then need to keep a close eye on the airlocks as it can evaporate reasonably quickly.

I just use the home made sanitiser as it doesn't affect the taste if a bit gets in and give the cost of spirits, well booze in general here, it's a waste of good vodka IMO.

Back