pectin in elderberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9skidoo9

Reaction score
I accidently put sure-gel in the wine instead of the jelly that I was making at the same time. The must became thick and weird. I have added pectin enzyme to the point where is is liquid but heavy and has an slimy texture. It is also quite hazy. It has been 3 months since starting the wine. The taste is not bad but the texture definately is undesireable. Any ideas on how I can save this 5 gallon batch?

So how did your jelly turn out? You might want to start fining it, start with something with a light touch like bentonite, sparkaloid and if they dont work go to the big guns SuperKleer. You may also want to add some tannins and hit it again with liquid pectinase BEFORE you start fining as the fining agents will pull out the proteins. Goood Luck, a 5 gallon batch of elderberry wine is worth going to extremes to rescue! WVMJ

Ugh. No, not sure this one will come back.

Two suggestions...

1- time. Let it settle for awhile, see if you could rack off the slime?

2- drink it by yourself...in the dark. Never speak of this to anyone not in the homebrew community! ;-)

Thanks for the tips and good humor. I will try your suggestions and give it plenty of time. The jelly was runny but delicious. I can live with runny jelly.

Back