Kent Goldings, Willamette and Northern Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeus

Reaction score
Kent Goldings, Willamette and Northern Brewer. These are the hops I've got in my fridge and I want to use them up. Can anyone point me to some recipes that utilized one or two of these? I partial mash, but I think I can find out the method for converting all grain into partial mash.

Thanks in advance :mug:

Sounds like you got the makings for an ordinary bitter or ESB (essentially the same beer except the ESB is typically higher alc and higher IBU). You could tackle it in a couple of different ways. I dont know your setup and your capabilities, but if it was me:

I would start with about 5 lbs of brewers two row (I would go with something like Marris Otter), mash that with some crystal. With the crystal you have some options. You could either mash with a pound of dark crystal like 120, or you could use a lighter crystal like 60 and add a quarter pound of chocolate. Again if it was me, I would do the lighter crystal and add the chocolate. Then take an ounce of your northern brewer and add it at 60 minutes, along with about 3 pounds of the lightest DME you can get your hands on. Then add .5 oz EKG at 40, 20 and 5. That would make a very good Bitter IMO.

The goblin jumped and jumped and sat on the elephant's trunk. The elephant sneezed and fell to his knees and what became of the Hob Goblin, oh what became of the drunk!

mmmmmmmmmm Hob Goblin!

- WW

orfy said:
I second an ESB or a SB or even just a B.

Or any English Ale.

You could try the Goblin if you aren't afraid of the taste. :D

Hmmm actually HobGoblin is one of my very favorite brews. I'll definitely have to look into that :rockin:

Man, hold on to that Goldings and sell it. :p I bet its gonna be worth a small fortune in a month or two.

-D

This simple AG recipe uses Northern Brewer and turned out fabulous. I am rarely completely happy with how my homebrews turn out, but everyone from non beer geek neighbors to hardcore craft-beerians loved this one. I used a very course crush so effic was very low, so adjust that to your liking...:

In Bloom Irish Session Stout

Style: Dry Stout (Irish) Brewer: Ken B
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Volume: 6.41 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 55.00 % Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Cooler (48 qt)
Actual Efficiency: 54.75 %
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 42.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 3.91 %
8.30 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 64.84 %
2.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 19.53 %
1.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 11.72 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (70 min) Hops 29.9 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 pack of US-05 yeast

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.046 SG (1.036-1.050 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.012 SG (1.007-1.012 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.008 SG
Estimated Color: 33.7 SRM (35.0-200.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 29.9 IBU (30.0-50.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 8.5 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 4.45 % (3.00-5.50 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 4.95 %
Actual Calories: 201 cal/pint

Mash Profile Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body Mash Tun Weight: 9.00 lb
Mash Grain Weight: 12.80 lb Mash PH: 5.4 PH
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Sparge Water: 4.20 gal Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 16.00 qt of water at 170.3 F 154.0 F 60 min

Back