Rainsoft... good or bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbone0n74

Reaction score
OK, so I got this great idea to invite the Rainsoft guys into my home to do a free water test so I could get a good idea of where my tap water stands. I've been brewing with my tap water for years now without any real problems. When they put the filter on my sink, however, the water that came out was noticeably clearer and better-tasting. I'm wondering how much of this is a typical sales-gimic, and how much of it really makes a difference. Since this filter strips the water of all calcium/chlorine, etc.., will it be altering my efficiency? Just don't know which way to go here, and was wondering if any of you had experience with this.

Interesting, my brother has the exact same dilemma. You should contact your local water authority for information about the water system. Also, the plumbing in your house can effect water quality in some situations.

In general, most tap water is fine for brewing, but it is important to know what you have and modify it to suit your particular needs. My tap water is super soft, which is a major factor in the way I treat my water before brewing.

Back