Question on element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agezzi

Reaction score
I remember that I read a thread were there was a link for low density elements for 120v. I've looked and can't seem to find it. I think PJ is the man that found the site. Please help? Crunch time to order.

agezzi said:
I remember that I read a thread were there was a link for low density elements for 120v. I've looked and can't seem to find it. I think PJ is the man that found the site. Please help? Crunch time to order.

Just to add I'm looking for 1500w element to add to my current setup. What I have now is a 2000w element with pid. The plan is too use that in conjunction with the new element hooked straight up to just a switch. I will use it to leave on when I boil and use the pid to cycle the other to maintain a proper boil. Money is tight now (closing on my first house) so adding just a element will not break the bank. Will this work for me for now with out problems. Suggestions anyone?

agezzi said:
Just to add I'm looking for 1500w element to add to my current setup. What I have now is a 2000w element with pid. The plan is too use that in conjunction with the new element hooked straight up to just a switch. I will use it to leave on when I boil and use the pid to cycle the other to maintain a proper boil. Money is tight now (closing on my first house) so adding just a element will not break the bank. Will this work for me for now with out problems. Suggestions anyone?

Just make sure the two elements are on different circuits and run your pid in manual mode and you'll be fine. :mug:

Looking at this site has me confused. The difference between low and high density elements is amount of square inches of surface area is greater in a lower density element at the same wattage. So, why do they show the same dimensions for the high and low 120V / 1500W elements? And even with the bend in the extra low, it looks like there's less surface area.

Looking at this site has me confused. The difference between low and high density elements is amount of square inches of surface area is greater in a lower density element at the same wattage. So, why do they show the same dimensions for the high and low 120V / 1500W elements? And even with the bend in the extra low, it looks like there's less surface area.

I know what you mean....the "Low density" element is only .25" longer than the "high density" element...and if you unfold the "ultra low density" one, it'll be the same length too.

There could be diameter differences between them, as they are showing how long in linear inches each element is, and it's square inches that counts for watt density, but it's very unclear.

I actually don't like this site, because there are no specifics or details....you have to infer a lot of information from the pictures....I'd prefer to see specs on W/in^2 and stuff like that. This site is by far the most recommended on HBT though, probably because it makes it easy for people to choose an element...(no confusing information, it's all laid out very simply)....which is why I figured it was what the OP wanted.

I know what you mean....the "Low density" element is only .25" longer than the "high density" element...and if you unfold the "ultra low density" one, it'll be the same length too.
I'm just guessing and don't know how these are made, but is it possible that the full length of the element is not used for heating and that the lower density utilizes more of the length available?

I'm just guessing and don't know how these are made, but is it possible that the full length of the element is not used for heating and that the lower density utilizes more of the length available?

Yeah, another theory. All elements have "cold spears" that extend into the element a certain amount. This is to prevent the base of the element from getting hot....so there's low resistance wire at the start of the coil, and then it goes to high resistance wire where the heat is made....so they could have shorter cold spears in the LD elements.

Still, I don't trust just the words "low density"....I'm an engineer, I want numbers dammit. Like I said though, personal preference. A LOT of people on this site use plumbing supply, and I've yet to see complaints. I know a lot of folks have that ULD 120V element for sure.

Back