Clarity through Jell-o (pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coeceo

Reaction score
So I tried using some Jell-o in my lates cream ale. Added for the last week in the secondary. 1 Tbsp of a Knox packet, let it sit in a pot of lukewarm spring water (about 1/2 cup). After a few min, brought it close to boil, stirred. Then just poured it in the secondary. Here is a pic I took on bottling day:

n510441173_1836468_5449.jpg

I've recently discovered the pure awesomeness of the knox gelatine also. I went back to the store the day I bottled the first batch I used it on, and bought the biggest box they had. I use it on all my beers except stouts and porters now.

Whirfloc tablets go in the boil when chiller does, around 15 min. Everything clears up and I don't have to remember another step later.

What is it, zombie thread week?

Might as well join the fun!

Whirfloc tablets go in the boil when chiller does, around 15 min. Everything clears up and I don't have to remember another step later.

Whirlfloc will not clear a yeast haze. For that you need the gelatin or lots of time at cold temps.

Proper technique will yeild crystal clear beer without any finings...I don't use irish moss, whirlfloc or gelatin. You just stick the bottle in the fridge for a few days and it's fine.

Ya that is a pretty dark cream ale. Mine are usually around the miller lite or bud lite color. But ya gelatin does rock I use it on every beer I want clear.

From my understanding there are two types of cream ale. One which contains corn, has a light...uh...everthing and the second is more like the cream stout of amber/brown beers. Really smooth, a little roasty and super creamy.

So I tried using some Jell-o in my lates cream ale. Added for the last week in the secondary. 1 Tbsp of a Knox packet, let it sit in a pot of lukewarm spring water (about 1/2 cup). After a few min, brought it close to boil, stirred. Then just poured it in the secondary. Here is a pic I took on bottling day:

n510441173_1836468_5449.jpg

Do you have to use a secondary? I go the 3 week plus primary route.

I have never used anything else. Dont know if I have been doing it wrong this whole time but I add in with the priming sugar right before bottling. It always turns out nice and clear.

Proper technique will yeild crystal clear beer without any finings...I don't use irish moss, whirlfloc or gelatin. You just stick the bottle in the fridge for a few days and it's fine.

+1, I prefer to keep the additives to a minimum. My beer is crystal clear after 2-4 weeks primary, 2 weeks bottle conditioning, and 2 weeks bottled in the fridge, except for some of the peskier yeasts such as WLP570/WY1388.

Glad this is working out for you, just wanted to let you know it's not always necessary.

Back