Help with my new Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-ROD

Reaction score
A little back story.... I scored a keg and set out to make a keggle. I can't weld and mentioned the project at work. one of the guys offered to have a friend (who welds for a living) cut the top off and weld up the two couplings for me. A month goes by and I get it back and the couplings have two b.b. size weld splatter spots in the couplings.

I'm out $37 dollars and I can't tell the guy I work with his buddy sucks & needs to fix it. Any ideas on how to save the couplings without having them cut out and replaced ? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Is it an actual hole or is is splatter from the weld? If it is splatter from the weld you should just be able to knock it off with a file. Can you take a picture of it so we can see?

If it's just stuck a bit to the surface, you should be able to chase it out with a nipple. If it's really in there, you'll have to have someone clean it out with a pipe tap.

The spots are not holes but weld on the threads. I'll see if i can knock it off with a cold chisel. If not I'll pick up a tap tomarrow. Thanks !
(Sorry for the lack of pics....the digicam needs batteries)

Back