At Last, the Sweet Taste of Success.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beyondthepale

Reaction score
Finally, my IPA is ready to drink. It took a lot longer to condition than I had anticipated, I was even beginning to wonder if I had screwed up. But last week I noticed signs of progress, and this week it's ready. This is the first beer I've made in over four years, so I've been quivering with anticipation. It came out good, too, for a recipe thrown together in about five minutes with no research. Has a great head, dense and tight, that lasts right down to the bottom of a glass. Pretty good lacing, too.The aroma is a little more malty and a little less hoppy than I had wanted. I think I'll be dry hopping most of my pale ales from now on. The color, a deep amber with just a slight haze to it. The flavor is a little unbalanced, on the one hand sweeter than ideal, but yet with a slight harshness to the hop bitterness. It isn't bad though, in fact it's overall pretty good. Especially for a "practice" beer. So now I can TRULY relax, enjoy the fruits of all my labors, and wait with greater patience for the other brews I have going right now. :mug:

Sounds good. Some of the more common IPA hops can be a little harsh at high levels. The easy solution is to use two or more bittering hops.

Back