First homebrew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksbeerlover80

Reaction score
Hi all:

So, I opened my first bottle of homebrewed beer last night. Admittedly, I didn't do it from scratch - I used Mr. Beer. As I've never done this before, I think it turned out pretty well.

I wanted to ask everyone if they've had a similar experience to mine:

Upon opening the first bottle, I instantly noticed a yeasty smell - perhaps I did not allow it to bottle condition long enough?

It also had a sweeter taste than anticipated and less carbonation - again not long enough in the bottle?

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas for brewing Round Two?

We were able to bottle 8 quarts of beer from this batch and we're planning to be somewhat scientific (open one bottle, follow up a week later, etc.) with the entire process, but if bottle one was like this, then what about the rest?!

Thanks and cheers!

Thanks!

At this point, I'm planning to get some more equipment and try some different types of brews/mixes. Whether I order from Mr. Beer or from Midwest Homebrew, I will try to stay relatively easy for the first year to allow me brain to wrap around the experience. I have a buddy that is helping me (he's brand new as well) and we have some ideas as to what we want to make (i.e. a stout for him and I would like to try toward a "cream-style" ale or lager).

I think I may stick with Mr. Beer for about a year (as training) wheels and move toward more sophisticated equipment in that timeframe.

ksbeerlover80 said:
Thanks!

I think I may stick with Mr. Beer for about a year (as training) wheels and move toward more sophisticated equipment in that timeframe.

I got a mr beer for xmas. the $50 bucks i got from returning it played an important role in purchasing of a simple start up kit. That was quickly followed by the puchase of more carboys and gadgets. Do they have a brewers anonymous?:drunk:

Liquidicem said:
How long has it been in the bottle for?

We Bottled on 2.18.08 and the ber has been conditioning at room temp for three weeks this Monday, 3.10.08. ANother observation made by someone trying the first beer was that it lacked body... Other than getting away from Mr. Beer, any other constructive ideas from everyone?

I don't know anything about Mr. Beer but in general if your beer is sweet and less carbonated it sounds like residual sugar that your yeast didn't eat, maybe your yeast pooped out on you? You could try ordering liquid vials of yeast or "smackpacks" in the future or ordering a quality dry yeast, I don't know what kind came with the kit.

Also if it was a big beer then maybe the yeast just needs more time to work on the sugar, resulting in more carbonation and less sweetness, although you did say you bottled three weeks ago...

Are you keeping the bottles in a colder environment like a basement or garage? If so that might be inhibiting the yeast's ability to eat the sugar and produce C02.

EDIT: OK, you said room temp, but is the room cold or does it get cold at night? I don't know, just spitballing ideas here.

How long was it in the primary fermenter and at what temperatures? Was there good activity in the fermenter? I'm guessing you don't have any specific gravity readings. Did you taste the beer at bottling? If so, was it sweet then?

If nothing else, at this point you could try shaking the (obviously unopened) bottles a little and placing them in a warmer area for a week or so... maybe on top of the refrigerator or something. That could help wake up the yeast a bit to finish off the priming sugar.

jmiracle said:
Are you keeping the bottles in a colder environment like a basement or garage? If so that might be inhibiting the yeast's ability to eat the sugar and produce C02.

EDIT: OK, you said room temp, but is the room cold or does it get cold at night? I don't know, just spitballing ideas here.

As far as temperature of the conditioning area, I put them on top of a mini-fridge just off of my kitchen. It doesn't get terribly hot there, but it's fairly stable from a temp standpoint. If anything, I would think that it might accelerate the yeast's activity.

Bert said:
Did you taste the beer at bottling? If so, was it sweet then?

It was a little sweet at bottling, I remember that. But I felt that it was more like flat beer than anything else (e.g. the beer taste overpowered the sweetness). My thought now is that perhaps I bottled too soon? :confused:

Thanks again!

Thats the problem with MR-Beer, you have no tools to judge if the beer is done or not (hydrometer). Usually if you get a good layer of foam right away in the fermenter and it goes 2 or 3 days like that your primary fermentation has succeded. You then want it to sit on the yeast to clean up risidual unwanted by products of fermentation for 5 to 7 days or longer and then add the boiled/cooled bottling sugar and bottle (sanitized bottles and caps). If this is what you did then you are most likely OK but need more time at 70 F for carbonation to occour.

Back