Smoked IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on one? I would use rauch malt but would that still lend to phenolic tastes?

*bump*

Anyone? Bird, i heard you have made something like this in the past, how was it?

I had Dude's beer, I liked it. I haven't made one myself, though. It's a balance, if I were doing one myself, I might even think about trying more of an English-style IPA than an American IPA.

This is one I don't know if I'd do again. it was good, but out there.

Smoke goes better with a darker, and maltier beer, IMHO. The hops don't cater to the smoke as well as darker malts do.

Dude said:
This is one I don't know if I'd do again. it was good, but out there.

Smoke goes better with a darker, and maltier beer, IMHO. The hops don't cater to the smoke as well as darker malts do.

That's why I'd think about doing it in the context of an English IPA, with a bit more pure-malt character. I had an English-style IPA not too long ago that almost had a bit (very subtle) of a roasted character to it that was complementary. I'm also thinking the earthy-type hops (as well as not being quite as over-the-top with flavor and aroma additions) common to the English style IPAs would be more complementary than the citrus/pine character of most domestic IPAs.

I was thinking an English style as well bird. If i stick to the low end of the IBU scale for style (40) i think it could be interesting.

Not sure if i am brave enough to waste all of that grain and EKGs though.

You know what might be nice?

An Old Ale with a bit of smoked flavor, something that would be kinda reminiscent of a beer that was made with malt that had been dried over a wood fire. I'm pretty sure that by the time the IPA was invented, they had developed means of drying malt without using fire directly, but I bet an Old Ale would have had a modest amount of smoke character. Might be complementary to some of the bigger malt flavors. Maybe not even doing a full-bore old ale (which are too sweet for me, personally), but something like a toned down version of that, maybe like an ESB but without quite as much bitterness or hop flavor, but with some smoke. Maybe like a smoked Hobgoblin.

the_bird said:
You know what might be nice?

An Old Ale with a bit of smoked flavor, something that would be kinda reminiscent of a beer that was made with malt that had been dried over a wood fire. I'm pretty sure that by the time the IPA was invented, they had developed means of drying malt without using fire directly, but I bet an Old Ale would have had a modest amount of smoke character. Might be complementary to some of the bigger malt flavors. Maybe not even doing a full-bore old ale (which are too sweet for me, personally), but something like a toned down version of that, maybe like an ESB but without quite as much bitterness or hop flavor, but with some smoke. Maybe like a smoked Hobgoblin.

Sounds a little like 06.06.06.

I never had a chance to sample that.... :(

I should probably just buy myself a sack of rauchmalt. I'm going to do a classic rauchbier; the local pub has one that is absolutely phenomenal, it's something I can absolutely see myself keeping as a permanant fixture on draft.

Latest posts

Back