Is this worth the money?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcmeyer

Reaction score
I'm a new brewer (been brewing for about a year). Right now I do extract batches on a stove top, but I am ready to move to all grain. I watch craigs list (especially for corny kegs) and I came across this brew rack and accessories.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/for/3804479847.html

I figured I would need a bigger brew pot and an outdoor burner when I went to all grain. The $1,100 price is steep, so I wanted to hear what you guys thought before I showed interest in this.

Assuming all the equipment is in good condition and there are no leaks...
1. How does the price compare with the amount of equipment. Is it a great deal, reasonably priced, or a rip off?
2. Would the learning curve be steep to learn how to use the rack? (I'd probably ask the seller to help me with it, or maybe do a batch with me to get it.)
3. Is there equipment that I would need for all grain brewing besides whats shown? (I know a wort chiller, but I could make that).
4. Any other thoughts! Again, this would be a huge purchase, so I definitely want to hear all angles. Maybe I just need to be talked down from the ledge, or told to jump in!

Thanks for any help!

I'm sure it is a cool rig, but it is way more than you actually need. Unless you have money to burn, you can get buy with way less equipment for way less money.

its pricey but thats just how those systems are its not a rip off but like billl says you can get by with much less. That would be great for making 10 gallon batches and it looks pretty bad ass. If you have the money than why not you might even be able to talk him down a little.

Ya I guess you guys are right. That would be a lot of money. Even though it would be a one time purchase and I could reuse it, it still pricey. I'm still young so I'll probably keep slowly building up my equipment, and then maybe later buying or building a rack.

The lister is probably asking what they spent. You could build it with all new equipment for what they are asking.

You could build it for less but is your time worth the $$?

Building it yourself will be about $200 - $300 cheaper.

My $0.02. $1,100 is actually a decent price, especially if you're not a welder and don't have a welding buddy to make a stand for free/cheap for you.

By the time you get a stand, the burners, the pumps, 3 sanke kegs (with cut tops, and fittings), and all the other fittings, you could easily spend more. You can certainly do it for less, especially with some bargain shopping and waiting for sales, but if you are looking to upgrade, and have the money, that's not a bad deal.

[Edit 1] Besides, it's Craig's List. There still may be some haggling room!

I'm a new brewer (been brewing for about a year). Right now I do extract batches on a stove top, but I am ready to move to all grain. I watch craigs list (especially for corny kegs) and I came across this brew rack and accessories.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/for/3804479847.html

I figured I would need a bigger brew pot and an outdoor burner when I went to all grain. The $1,100 price is steep, so I wanted to hear what you guys thought before I showed interest in this.

Assuming all the equipment is in good condition and there are no leaks...
1. How does the price compare with the amount of equipment. Is it a great deal, reasonably priced, or a rip off?
you could buy new for $1100

its a rip off. lots of people want what they paid for used equipment.
3 keggles from homebrewing.org
a stand
3 cheap cup burners and a pump isn't worth $1100 used. offer $500

If I were in the market (and couldnt DIY) I'd expect to pay $400 - $500 for it depending on how those SS welds look. After all, it's recycled bed frames and other pieces (maybe $200 in welding labor, being generous); 3 keggles with fittings $125 each; a $150 pump; and some ancillary pieces. I doubt the seller has $800 in it total.

pfgonzo said:
My $0.02. $1,100 is actually a decent price, especially if you're not a welder and don't have a welding buddy to make a stand for free/cheap for you.

By the time you get a stand, the burners, the pumps, 3 sanke kegs (with cut tops, and fittings), and all the other fittings, you could easily spend more. You can certainly do it for less, especially with some bargain shopping and waiting for sales, but if you are looking to upgrade, and have the money, that's not a bad deal.

[Edit 1] Besides, it's Craig's List. There still may be some haggling room!

I agree.... The pumps are 130 -150 each. And I have at least $150 in cam locks and tubing, throw in 50 each for false bottoms and dip tubes... It adds up real quick. No you don't need this to make good beer, nut if you want it and you have the money it would be cheap at 900 IMHO..

Part of the fun of having a rig like that is putting your own touch on it. If you build it they will come....and drink...with you...

you could buy new for $1100

its a rip off. lots of people want what they paid for used equipment.
3 keggles from homebrewing.org
a stand
3 cheap cup burners and a pump isn't worth $1100 used. offer $500

Where can I buy a 3 burner stand for 1100? I think those that say this is not a decent (at least) deal are either welders..or have a friend who can weld. A 3 burner stand welded will set you back quite a bit all alone even with the mild steel and cast iron burners.

I think it's a great deal for a complete system. I'd have him set it up for a wet-check before consumating the deal though, if it leaks all over the place and your'e going to have to rebuild it anyway, you can probably get it for half the price.

As a guy who's spent way more then that on his brew setup, I'll tell ya...I still don't have a 3 burner stand.

Talk him down to 700 if you can and spend $150 on a chiller and get to brewin. Don't buy a bunch of gear twice (one for cheaps' sake and another because you cheaped out and got the wrong one to start with) just because some folks on the internet got wowed by a 1k price tag. If you have the money, go for it. You'll save money in the end IMHO.

Where can I buy a 3 burner stand for 1100? I think those that say this is not a decent (at least) deal are either welders..or have a friend who can weld. A 3 burner stand welded will set you back quite a bit all alone even with the mild steel and cast iron burners.

I think it's a great deal for a complete system. I'd have him set it up for a wet-check before consumating the deal though, if it leaks all over the place and your'e going to have to rebuild it anyway, you can probably get it for half the price.

As a guy who's spent way more then that on his brew setup, I'll tell ya...I still don't have a 3 burner stand.

Talk him down to 700 if you can and spend $150 on a chiller and get to brewin. Don't buy a bunch of gear twice (one for cheaps' sake and another because you cheaped out and got the wrong one to start with) just because some folks on the internet got wowed by a 1k price tag. If you have the money, go for it. You'll save money in the end IMHO.

My issues are the cheap bed frame material & the cheap burners. In addition, it's set up for a specific brewer's preference; the OP has yet to brew all grain, so probably hasn't formulated a workflow.

I just moved to all grain a few months ago and did not appreciate how much individual preference plays into your workflow. I have seen many systems from members of my HBC and I can't see how some would work for me.

My advice, pick up something like this for your kettle and HLT and a 12 gallon cooler that you can convert to a MLT. Get a good burner and you are all set for all grain. Once you have done some batches you will begin to get a feel for the process and how you like to do it and then you can begin to look for a sculpture that fits your needs

To go with previous posts, I'd offer no more than $750. Used kegs are cheap at the scrap yard. The structure itself looks cheap. Burners are not top of the line. real money is in the fittings and hoses, but that is debatable. Just my opinion tho. If you know someone that can tack weld, you'd be able to make the same for about the same amount of money.

Just wait and learn your process like others have said with a cheap cooler and a large pot. I have about that much into my self welded stand, 2 blichmann's and a march pump with all cam locks.

unclevername said:
I agree.... The pumps are 130 -150 each. And I have at least $150 in cam locks and tubing, throw in 50 each for false bottoms and dip tubes... It adds up real quick. No you don't need this to make good beer, nut if you want it and you have the money it would be cheap at 900 IMHO..

Just to clarify, The ad includes a single chugger pump and no false bottoms.

Retail Pricing:
Keggles - $600
SS Ball Valves/Camlocks/Tubing - $100
Chugger Pump - $150
Burners - $30
Gas Tank (full) - $50
Regulator - $20

Total RETAIL Cost minus the frame: ~$900 + Shipping
With shipping and the frame (the one pictured is pretty cheap) you might be able to make it for ~$1100-1300

However, if you know a welder and can get cheap kegs this price goes WAY WAY down. The biggest cost is paying retail for keggles with 2 bulkheads. They run around $200 a piece through AHB.

Build your own system. You'll be much happier. There are so many different systems on here to look at and
so much information from great brewers. If your not into that, I would offer $500.00 max.

IMO it is a reasonable price especially for someone that is not a DIY type person. I'm sure the guy built it for a couple hundred less then he is asking but he did put work into it and wants some compensation. Offer him less then he is asking but don't try to get it for the cost of materials.

Retail Pricing:
Keggles - $600
SS Ball Valves/Camlocks/Tubing - $100
Chugger Pump - $150
Burners - $30
Gas Tank (full) - $50
Regulator - $20

Total RETAIL Cost minus the frame: ~$900 + Shipping
With shipping and the frame (the one pictured is pretty cheap) you might be able to make it for ~$1100-1300

However, if you know a welder and can get cheap kegs this price goes WAY WAY down. The biggest cost is paying retail for keggles with 2 bulkheads. They run around $200 a piece through AHB.

Needle valves for the burners, and I personally think you're at least 100 bucks low on the tubing/camlocks/SS valves. In fact, I just spent more then 150 on just the camlocks and tubing recently. I did shop around too. Think I got them the cheapest e-tailers out there. I did spring for the 1/2 ID fittings from Brewhardware, so they were a bit more...

But you do have a point. If you know that's what you want, you might be better off building it yourself for a few bucks more. I just wouldn't go cheap if I were the OP, because I think a lot of HBT-ers project their budgets onto other brewers. ;-)

As I said before, I have that setup basically, but spent WAY more on it, because I ended up replacing things I had already bought.

Thanks for all the help guys! Likes always, the amount of knowledge and help everyone gives is amazing. I'm not going to purchase it. Like a lot of you said, I should get focused on the all grain process and then find something that works with me. (I have to make sure I enjoy all grain too! I don't think that will be a problem though.) Building one down the road my be fun as well!

I'm sure someone in the Indy area will snag that up and put it to good use. Thanks for the help everyone! Cheers!

Back