A couple questions from yet another newb.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultraplop

Reaction score
Like many posting here, I just starting brewing. Currently I'm using the Mr Beer process, which is pretty simple. It uses a single fermentor and instead of using an airlock it just uses a screw top lid that lets air out through the threads but supposedly will not allow any air in.

About 3 days into the fermentation I noticed that my lid was on but wasn't completely tight. Now its been 3 weeks and I still have a lot of what looks like yeast colonies or krausen floating on the top. My last batch took about a week and a half for the krausen to completely drop. This batch hasn't cleared up at all and doesn't like like its even started to drop.

I'm wondering if its normal to see yeast colonies hanging out on top after 3 weeks or if possibly it got contaminated. This batch does have twice the fermentables in it, but I also put in twice the amount of yeast as my first batch.

Thanks for any help.

Double the fermentables= double the unfermentables that give body and head. But you'll always get soem yeasties floating about. I'd say to wait another week, no because of recipe but because of the winter temperatures.

In the meantime, get a better set up and make dependable brews. Start with a bucket, a stopper and a bubbler.

Back