Holiday - 60hrs and no Fermentation -- What to do ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish620

Reaction score
I brewed a Brewers Best Vienna Lager (trying as a lager without lagering) and pitched the White labs Liquid Yeast WLP830 (without starter) at 62F and is sitting at 53F for 60hrs and no signs of fermentation. No bubbles,no krausen, just stillness.

I know I under pitched but now the LHBS is closed for the next 1 1/2 days and I need some help ! Move to warmer or colder area ? Anything I can do to help it get started ? The longer i go without it starting the worse this beer will taste, right?

Any ideas to get me though or am I being impatience ? Don't want to lose this batch.

Thanks Boys !

There aren't always "signs" of fermentation. Maybe take a gravity reading to see if it's dropped at all?

You are being impatient especially since lagers typically require huge starters and you didn't make one. It's not that the beer won't ferment it's just going to take a while. In addition the yeast will be quite stressed so off flavors may be a concern.

Your temp is ok but this is a true lager yeast so you should plan on doing a proper lager fermentation including a d-rest and then lagering.

To see how poorly you under pitched you should visit Www.yeastcalc.com, plug in the numbers including style for lager and date of yeast

I could move it to 50F if it will help the yeast get started but i thought the slightly warmer temp might help the short term start up.

Will wednesday be to late to pitch additional yeast, but a starter will take me days longer ? I really had no idea how bad my yeast count was. I should of just
bought a Ale yeast and brewed it that way. Now, I have a lager that i have to brew as a half @#$ lager because I cant properly lager it. Its really looking like I screwed this batch up.

Anything I can do to give these yeasts and this batch some help ? ?? ? ? ??

At least now you know how badly underpitched this beer is- rather than making a starter and waiting, go buy three more packs of yeast right now and pitch those immediately. That would be the best thing to do. Two days more is just going to be 48 hours of massively stressed yeast trying desperately to reproduce and process all that sugar (more than enough time to ruin your beer). Pitching more yeast at that point would be useless.

Well I guess I am screwed unless i can find a LHBS open on new years day. But
by then i will be too late ?

Wednesday will probably the earliest i can buy a bunch of lager yeast packets

I would at least take a gravity reading as the beer may have started fermenting and you just have a poor seal.

In the end you will have beer and chalk this one up to a learning experience. 2013 will be a better brew year for you because of it:)

Ya, gravity reading is still 1.049...........I know it will eventually turn into beer but since this is my 3 batch ever, I am just
Overly concern about having 5 gals of sub-par beer !

Back