Propane Plumbing Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWDuck

Reaction score
Hi all, forgive me for this post. I know there is a ton of help out there for this very issue, and I think that's whats led me to my current problem.

I was following a diagram and purchased some parts, the parts finally came 3 weeks later and now I cant find the post!

I've drawn a diagram (sorry for my terrible skills) and am having problems connecting everything.

I've purchased the following parts (There letters are shown on the image):

A. 1 Regulator Hose
B. 2 Ball Valves
C. 2 Gas Hoses
D. 2 Burners

I have not purchases the Iron pipe (E.) or the T valves that will go with the iron pipe.

My problem is how do I connect the following pieces?
Regulator to Iron Pipe - (A. to E.)?
Iron Pipe to Brass Valve - (E. to B.)?
and Brass Valve to Gas Hose - (B. to C.)?

Do I need special fittings all all of these connections?

I'm very confused and not that confident with propane. Also, when I do have it all plumbed together, how does one check for leaks?

Thanks for all your help!

Setup.png

That diagram is basically what I did, mine goes, regulator to propane hose, to iron pie, to "T" to ball valve, to propane hose to burner. The ball valves should be female thread and your iron pipe should be male, to go from 1/2 pipe to 3/8 hose (or vice versa) get a reducing bushing (I think they are called, same section as the iron pipe)

Hope this helps

Use the yellow teflon tape (for gas) and wrap each male threads a few times. Get a pipe wrench and tighten it up.
Use a squirt gun with soapy water and spray at the joints. No bubbles rising= you're good. Bubbles building up = leak. Its really simple. Dont light the fire when doing this incase there is a leak as that could be bad mojo.
I set mine up exactly like you did and it works great.

ForumRunner_20121227_230835.png

As you can see, there is a third Tee that is capped off in case I want to add a third burner someday. Also, it is wise to pressure test every once in a while. Just good insurance. I check maybe every 3rd brew day just cuz I'm worrisome and dont want to explode

The thing that I'm still confused about is the gas hose (C.) Has a male and female end. I figured the female end will hook up to the male orifice on the burner, so that leaves the male end trying to connect to the male end of the ball valve (B.). How do you get those two to connect?? Is there some type of adapter?? I can take a picture later if that helps?

Send a pic and I can see if I can help. Are.you in Eugene? Guessing by your user name. I live in Harrisburg so i would be happy to help in person if you would like.

Ok I see what you mean. Yes, you will need a female to female propane hose. I had mine made to fit my stand. It was like $24 for both. Each was 11" which is what my set up called for. Had them done at Fire for Life in eugene (541)345-7802. A little pricey, but the alternative was to get the generic one at home depot. I think it was about $20 for each and they are about 2 feet long. Overkill for my needs and more expensive for 2 than what I paid. Fire for Life is quick. Just bring in your fittings, unless you know the size already, and tell them the needed length. They will build right there for you to take.home within a few mins.

I'm actually in Portland, went to school in Eugene and moved back to portland a few years back.

It sounds like I might need to return my hoses and get female to female gas hoses. Ill have to search around and maybe theres a spot like that in portland.. Only problem is I'm not sure how long they need to be since the stand is still in the designing stage..

I've seen a lot of setups with that yellow flex hose, do you have any experience that? Is that a cheaper alternative? Also how have your ball valves worked out so far? Do they allow you to be pretty precise with the flame? I'm hoping they give me good control as ill be using one for my HLT and sparge water..

Thanks for all your help!

The yellow hoses are the 20 per at Home Depot. They are longer and will give you more flexibility. Seen lots of guys here use em. Personally I went with the custom one cuz it looks nice and ended up being cheaper for my application.
The ball valves are from home depot too. I get some control with them but not very much. Most control will be from the regulator. You could get needle valves instead of ball valves and that would improve control. It will cost you, though I dont know how much.
That said, I have been successful with brewing with the ball valves and probably wont change them as they are effective for my needs, which is to close or open the fuel supply to either burner.
I would imagine you would want needle valves if you were going for a more automated system, but that is an assumption.

Back