hop sack rip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKrumm

Reaction score
I was pouring my wort into my fermenting vessel tonight and the sack i got from the homebrew store had a hole in both sides. Should i wait for primary to do its work then transfer or strain it tomorrow and repitch some new yeast?

So your saying you got hops/general crap from the boil into your primary then pitched the yeast as normal?

If so, then no worries. I do this every time I brew.

lol, yes thats what im saying. normally i strain everything out. first batch this didnt happen. was worried for a minute.

The only time I would worry is when dry hopping, unless you don't care if you have floaties right before bottling.

I don't even worry then. I have a paint strainer bag that I sanitize and fasten over the end of my autosiphon. It catches all the floaties and has enough area that it doesn't clog easily.:ban:

It probably makes no difference, but I feel I get better hop utilization when I let he hops swim free (in the kettle or dry hop).

Hops in the fermenter are no big deal. It will just result in more trub in the bottom.

Let it ride. Strain the hops out later. Less opportunity to cause infection or oxidation. You'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back