wlp530 / wyeast 3787 / westmalle yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maida7

Reaction score
I know a lot of people love this yeast and I'm considering making it my goto belgian strain. What is your experience? More specifically what flavors can I expect at various temps?

there must be over 100 threads on this forum about this popular yeast. try doing a search for "3787" using the Google search function - click the down-arrow beside the word "Search" at the top of the page, don't use the default search. good luck!

there must be over 100 threads on this forum about this popular yeast. try doing a search for "3787" using the Google search function - click the down-arrow beside the word "Search" at the top of the page, don't use the default search. good luck!

Ok but what's your experience?

I have used 3787 in 4 batches: 1 patersbier, 1 dubbel, and 2 tripels. All four were fermented somewhat similar. Always pitched low, say 62. Control to 64 for first 36 hours or so. Then I let them slowly rise to upper 60's or 70. You will get plenty of the characteristic phenols and esters with this approach, but the spicy phenols may take time to show up (3-6 months).

I really like the flavor, but am considering other belgian yeasts for future brews for a few reasons. One variety. Two, this yeast is absolutely beastly at the upper gravities. It will blow a lid sky high even with Fermcap S added. A large 6.5 carboy with large ID blowoff tube would negate this risk, but I don't have that yet. Three, this yeast will go dormant in primary at some FG, usually pretty dry. And for some reason fermentation starts up again in a carboy, bottle, etc. Sometimes many months after it was brewed. One tripel and one dubbel overcarbed because of this. Not sure if I'm doing anything wrong in this area, but they sit in primary and secondary for plenty of time.

This is my primary goto yeast for cysers, I find she likes to be coddled for high gravities. Don't be surprised if you dont see any activity for 72 hours and if she suddenly stops all visable activity, shes still working. I find shes a slow fermentor and produces amazing results everytime. At low temperatures I get cottoncandy phenols, at higher temps she gives me clove and pepper.

This is my go to Belgian yeast. With my experiences, I start it the mid 60s and let it ramp up. I think the flavours will vary more so with the beer. For example, I brewed a belgian blond and triple from the same batch, just added water to the blond to bring the og down and I pitched both beers on a slurry of the yeast. The beers were drastically different. The blond was one of the best beers I have made, while the triple still has the alcohol bite. One thing I have noticed though, it takes a while for this one to floc.

I have used 3787 in 4 batches: 1 patersbier, 1 dubbel, and 2 tripels. All four were fermented somewhat similar. Always pitched low, say 62. Control to 64 for first 36 hours or so. Then I let them slowly rise to upper 60's or 70. You will get plenty of the characteristic phenols and esters with this approach, but the spicy phenols may take time to show up (3-6 months).

I really like the flavor, but am considering other belgian yeasts for future brews for a few reasons. One variety. Two, this yeast is absolutely beastly at the upper gravities. It will blow a lid sky high even with Fermcap S added. A large 6.5 carboy with large ID blowoff tube would negate this risk, but I don't have that yet. Three, this yeast will go dormant in primary at some FG, usually pretty dry. And for some reason fermentation starts up again in a carboy, bottle, etc. Sometimes many months after it was brewed. One tripel and one dubbel overcarbed because of this. Not sure if I'm doing anything wrong in this area, but they sit in primary and secondary for plenty of time.

I ferment in 15.5 gallon sanke kegs so blow off is never a problem. :)

It can be a beast and blow off krausen like you wouldn't believe, have lots of room or a blow off tube.
It likes to finish warm. If I don't crank it up at the end of fermetation it ends up overcarbing because it continues or restarts fermenting in the bottle.
That said, it is an awesome yeast, lots of "Belgian" character when treated well. Fermented lower less phenols and more malt, fermented warmer more phenols/spicy. Always a strong attenuator.

I used it to make a Trippel and it turned out really well. Then I made a monster double IPA using the 3787 yeast cake. There were so many hops in it i couldnt taste the Belgian yeast characteristics. It always produces a beer with a dry finish. Blow off tube is a must when fermenting a beer with a high gravity.

Latest posts

Back