week 3 and power out, ester issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdog

Reaction score
So, 3 weeks ago I make a summer wheat the following is the recipe.

5.5lb 2row
5lb white wheat
1oz whillamette 60 min
1oz cascade 10min
Wyeast 3068

Mash 150 for 90 min.

Primary first 2 weeks @ 68-70 f
went on vacation week 3, ac was out for last 2 days. When I arrived temp was 88 in house.
What adverse affects could this bring? Esters? Tasting today has strong clove odor and aftertaste.

You are fine. The main fermentation was over. I routinely keep brews in my fermentation chamber until I need it for the next brew, and pull them out to let them sit. If. fermentation was in it's early stages you would have had problem, but now no problem.

Bottle it up and enjoy.

It sounds like phenols is more of the problem then esters for you which is a wanted by product for hefes. The high temps could have something to do with it seeing how fluxs in temps like that is bad for your yeast. Go ahead and continue on and drink it up, dont worry about it and if its a problem on your next batch then look at your fermenting practices.

I think the quantity of active yeast was probably so low that there shouldn't be many noticeable off-flavors, if any. Risk of infection would increase with higher temp, but CO2 likely kept that out unless it was there to begin-with.

Back