The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds like im not the one in la la land. It was a blatant flop any video shows that so i doubt that it would be extended.

It gets extended because he didn't get tossed earlier. Salazar might be ok with players going after him, but if there's one thing the MLS has shown they don't like, it's players targeting refs.

Punity said:
They are always involved haha

Yup, especially if MLSsoccer.com has something to do with it.

Look, I enjoy getting hand-jibbers as much as the next guy but I don't need it from a group of sportscasters.

And as for the SJ v SEA match, ustream can suck my middle nut. I had to find a streaming radio feed from Seattle. Oh well, at least the announcer was on-the-ball.

i had prior commitments so i missed the game but just somehow knew they won haha, i cant believe that the #1 team played regs while we threw out backups and still won.

Montero will be out just one game. There was nothing serious there to warrant more. His thing with Salazar is a latin thing. They both work hard to get under each other's skin. You can see by expression that it is very personal with those two and Salazar doesn't want "cards" to get in the way between them and their interaction. It's kinda interesting to watch what goes on between the two.

Only caught half of the game last night. SJ internet service seems to be a couple decades old....

Very scrappy. Seattle played their tougher players in back (Ianni, Scott, Gonzoles) and kept SJ pretty much in check. It wasn't a skilled game and sometimes that's just what it has to be. Sometimes they're just grinders.

The end of the game eddie johnson thing is a bit overblown as well. IF that is somebody's idea of a fight, well clearly, they've never been in one.

Beautiful Beckham FK goal

It was friggin gorgeous.... like a "f**k you for not picking me to the GB Olympic squad."

The result was quite disappointing but damn that was a helluva match. Definitely lived up to the hype and hopefully won over the hearts of the extra thousands who showed up either to see what soccer is about or Euro fans giving MLS a chance.

Agreed SJ put up a much better fight then against Seattle. But man he just layed that ball right where he wanted it

Yeah he is amazing at getting the ball over a wall and making it drop quick enough to be on-target. Plus, Busch's face was all busted up so Becks didn't have to worry too much about beating him.

The winning goal was pretty skilled as well. And wtf was up with beckham at the end of the game?

Yeah Wondos flick was pretty damn impressive. I had a really hard time being mad... I mean, I was steaming but not as much as I should have been. That was pure quality and the only way any defender would have had a chance to block that would have been pure luck of being in the right place at the right time.

As far as Becks goes... well, it's a rivalry match that was very back-and-forth with rough play and a feverish atmosphere. Couple that with his snub from the Great Britain Olympic squad and his tendency to be drawn to conflict....

There was also some stellar keeper work. Bingham made an impressive stop against a wicked Magee shot that was curling hard to the far-post, and Saunders at least kept LA in the match with his three-in-a-row save (two of which he started on the ground!!!)

I think it's a shame they didn't pick Beckham for the GB squad. To me, at least, the Olympics should still more about fun and playing the game rather than winning. Preferably they would be playing amateur players that love the game rather than all this professional crap that has dominated since they allowed professionals. Since that basketball "Dream team" thing, and how the sportsmen in the high profile sports are now more or less professional, I find myself watching more and more minority sports in the Olympics. The people who are in it because their chosen sport is their life, not their pay check.

Sorry, I guess this was the wrong thread for that rant!

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible said:
I think it's a shame they didn't pick Beckham for the GB squad. To me, at least, the Olympics should still more about fun and playing the game rather than winning. Preferably they would be playing amateur players that love the game rather than all this professional crap that has dominated since they allowed professionals. Since that basketball "Dream team" thing, and how the sportsmen in the high profile sports are now more or less professional, I find myself watching more and more minority sports in the Olympics. The people who are in it because their chosen sport is their life, not their pay check.

Sorry, I guess this was the wrong thread for that rant!

Not the wrong thread... I completely agree. Last summer games I found myself rooting for the lone Trinidadian athlete who was competing in kayaking because that's what the olympics are really about: everybody gets a chance to shine in front of the entire world, even the little guys. He won bronze, IIRC.

Anybody watching the Euro final on XBOX ESPN? I'm watching it supposedly live, and all of the sudden a score alert flashes showing a goal supposedly a minute in the future!

Switching topics, Seattle Defense is really starting to frustrate me. We made New England look great yesterday. I know we've pulled out quite a few games in stoppage time for our own befenfit, but man it stings when it happens to you. I went from being so happy that we had most likely broken our longest no win slump to wanting to pull my hair out when I started seeing the defense and midfield pull back to bunker up when they should have been attacking the ball. I'm curious to see if Schmidt makes any big changes. We need help back there. It was nice to see Johnson get some headers in though.

I can relate the Timbers made me want to throw things at my television over the weekend.

Kick TV keeps getting better! The Gear Show is often funny and shows off some sweet stuff (boots, kits, gloves, etc.) and their Euro Trip 2012 was hilarious and quite enthralling.

But check this: All 28 goals from MLS Week 17

That's 28 goals over 9 matches, or 3.11 goals per match. Not bad.

The 2012 season GPM stat is already higher than in 2011... so does that mean more quality attack or sloppier defending?

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2012 season GPM stat is already higher than in 2011... so does that mean more quality attack or sloppier defending?

I think there is an all around better quality of attack in the MLS. It seems like some teams have created combinations of forwards and mids that work well together and know how to create great opportunities to score. There are also more finishers out there.

It does make me wonder though about teams putting more effort into their strikers and midfield that they somewhat neglect the back 4. Goalies might also be something to look at. That and games like the LA vs SJ game help that stat along!

I disagree, Seattle's problems are in Goal. We were 7-1-1 with the first side keeper. He's still a ways away from recovery. We're back to the 3rd string keeper, cept this time is probably his last chance as Sigi more or less laid it out on the line today.

lgilmore said:
I disagree, Seattle's problems are in Goal. We were 7-1-1 with the first side keeper. He's still a ways away from recovery. We're back to the 3rd string keeper, cept this time is probably his last chance as Sigi more or less laid it out on the line today.

I know that but again with the 3rd goalie in the back 4 need to step up defense to take off the pressure hes the 3rd goalie for a reason.

Punity said:
I know that but again with the 3rd goalie in the back 4 need to step up defense to take off the pressure hes the 3rd goalie for a reason.

So you didn't expect them to be playing their best defense before they were on the third goalie? :D

BrewKnurd said:
So you didn't expect them to be playing their best defense before they were on the third goalie? :D

They should be doing it everytime yes but the situation we are they have to step it up. Someone has to take charge and i think our attack play early masked alot of the backfield problems. Sigi needs to make something click injuries aside we shouldnt be playing like a bottom tier team hoping for a win

Actually as a long time GK myself, I don't think you guys understand the role. Both Keller and Gspring were/are strong communicators, which makes a back line better. A Gk has a view of the field that no other player has, and it is their job to communicate to the back four so they can coordinate defensively. Both reserve GKers so far seem far too polite, they don't call the defense.

So while the back four can step it up, without good communication, it is far too difficult.

A GKer is your defensive link to all other players. He sees everything as all the play is in front of him.

I'm assuming you guys didn't play in goal much.
But basically, it's the same guys that went 7-1-1, what's different?

Actually as a long time GK myself, I don't think you guys understand the role. Both Keller and Gspring were/are strong communicators, which makes a back line better. A Gk has a view of the field that no other player has, and it is their job to communicate to the back four so they can coordinate defensively. Both reserve GKers so far seem far too polite, they don't call the defense.

So while the back four can step it up, without good communication, it is far too difficult.

A GKer is your defensive link to all other players. He sees everything as all the play is in front of him.

I'm assuming you guys didn't play in goal much.
But basically, it's the same guys that went 7-1-1, what's different?

Thats what im trying to say without dogging our Gk now, hes third string and can only do so much, the back 4 need to realize this and help him do his job better by playing their game at a higher level. but we will see as the season rolls on and our gk now gets more experience in net. at least the Open Cup is still alive right now

He might be 4th string. Wasn't Terry Boss the backup to Gspurning? I believe he had a concussion which put Webber in.

I totally agree with lgilmore. I played as a fullback throughout middle school and high school. we depended on the keeper watching our backs and constantly yelling for us to push up or pull back. The GK is where experience really counts. Meredith did pretty well yesterday when we needed him, but he wasn't challenged too much by RSL. You can see though that the defense aren't operating under his guidance though. Happy to have a clean sheet finally. It was a good tie game.

Yup. I played keeper for years and by the time I was playing in highschool, if my voice wasn't hoarse at the end of the game I didn't do it right.

Terry Boss retired this season due to frequent concussions. A big part of that 7-1 Man U shellacking the Sounders took was Boss got concussed early on. He was there, but he wasn't.

Seattle played a low pressure game last night designed to help Meridith. Corassco didn't venture forth too much and played a 90% defensive game. While not so much fun to watch, it was a well coached game where Seattle kept it's shape pretty well throughout the match. Had Cato been a half step closer, it would have been 3 points.

Just shocking i thought he was the golden child that was allowed to walk on water haha.

Awesome! Goal-line technology has been given the go-ahead by the IFAB. The MLS commissioner said he'd want to get everything set up by next season.

There are two systems that gained approval. One, called "Hawkeye" relies on six high-speed cameras make a 3D image of exactly where the ball is.

The other, called "GoalRef", will implement a weak magnetic field in/around the goal that gets interrupted if the ball (with a small chip in it) crosses the line completely. The center official is informed of a goal by a special match-watch that lights up and vibrates.

Both technologies give results in less than one second.

Personally I'd prefer GoalRef seeing as it gives a yes-or-no answer instead of position.

Reno_eNVy said:
Awesome! Goal-line technology has been given the go-ahead by the IFAB. The MLS commissioner said he'd want to get everything set up by next season.

There are two systems that gained approval. One, called "Hawkeye" relies on six high-speed cameras make a 3D image of exactly where the ball is.

The other, called "GoalRef", will implement a weak magnetic field in/around the goal that gets interrupted if the ball (with a small chip in it) crosses the line completely. The center official is informed of a goal by a special match-watch that lights up and vibrates.

Both technologies give results in less than one second.

Personally I'd prefer GoalRef seeing as it gives a yes-or-no answer instead of position.

Thats great i would also prefer the latter. Thats the no nonsense way of knowing

Yeah I'm pretty sure the tag in the ball would trip the field via induction, a technology that's been in use for years (basically anything you touch to activate, or city intersections that let the lights know a car is there when it rolls over the field) so not a huge leap. And they put chips in players' boots now to track stats... why not the ball?

exactly, the 3d camera crap would just slow down the game waiting for a ruling. and that would REALLY piss of Beckham

Back