Brewstand questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firebat138

Reaction score
If you had to do it again... Would you use one pump and then just use Qds to change what you were doing at the time, or pipe everything and then use valves to change the flow and etc.?

With the way my process works I could not get by with one pump as I work on a single level and fly sparge. If you gravity feed some portion then you could use one pump... it just depends on your equipment and process.

I use a single pump with cam-lock QD's and silicone tubing. I like my system, and would not hard plumb if I were to do it over. My reasons are the same as above; simplicity, ease of cleaning, flexibility if/when I change things around, and much cheaper.

ok, so with a single tier, I could get away with one pump... I do batch sparge for now,

So Pump hot water to mash tun.... MASH... then move hoses and trasnfter wort to BK....boil wort.... then move hoses and transfer wort through chillhog into fermenter?

Does that fly?

So why couldnt I fly sparge with one pump?

EDIT: Wait...lol... I guess you need to pump from the HLT to the MT while at the same time PUMP from MT to BK? When do you recirculate?

When do you recirculate?

The mash? Depends on your system and process. With my HERMS I try to keep the brew day short, so I only heat up a little more water than needed to strike in the HLT. After mashing in I fill the HLT with a little more than my anticipated sparge volume and start heating it. Once it's up to my desired mash temp, I start recirculating through the HEX coil and back into the MLT. If I started out with the entire volume in the HLT I could start recirculating immediately, but it takes more time to get that much water up to strike temp. If your system is a RIMS you'll want to recirc the entire mash. If you're just using an insulated vessel for the MLT without any heat source, you'll only want to recirculate for the last few minutes of the mash to prevent temperature loss. Basically think of it as a vorlauf.

gotcha... so when people refer to recirculating after the boil, they are running through the chiller and dumping back into BK until the temp is correct?

gotcha... so when people refer to recirculating after the boil, they are running through the chiller and dumping back into BK until the temp is correct?

Sometimes. Sometimes recirculation is done during the last 5-10 min of the boil as a way to sanitize the pump, transfer hoses, and other equipment. It's often done to create a whirlpool in the BK for separating trub and hop debris from the wort. This can be done before, after, or during the chilling process depending on the type of chiller you have and the process you use.

Ordered the materials from MC today... I was gonna get them at HD, but the steel angles were DOUBLE... Shipping was only 13 bucks... Very nice...

Got the materials and made my first cut with my miter saw and metal cutting blade... Yeah... perhaps I should move the gas cans before continuing. lol. When cutting the big pieces, I end up with a 52" and 20". Any harm in just making it 20" tall with the large pieces and using the 1-1/2x1-1/2 for the braces and etc...

Back