making a lemon honey hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valicious

Reaction score
I want to try out the Sorachi Ace hops, so I decided I'd try a lemon honey hefeweizen.

What do you guys think for the grain bill?

Maybe maris otter or pilsner? How about adding some honey malt and honey wheat? Should I go with White Labs Hefeweizen or Hefeweizen IV?

This is my first hef that I'm trying to make a recipe for, so I'm a bit lost. I followed a recipe for an Orange Honey Hef before, and I loved how that turned out.

Current Recipe
Pilsner
7 lbs, 0 oz
White Wheat
6 lbs, 0 oz
Honey Malt
1.5lbs
Sorachi Ace Pellets
.25 oz @ 30 mins
Sorachi Ace Pellets
.5 oz @ 5 mins
White Labs Bavarian Weizen

3 pounds honey
zest of 2 lemons soaked overnight in vodka

Well, the idea is good. The main problem with your recipe is the lack of wheat. You can add white or red wheat and a little flaked wheat so that you have a ratio of about 60/40 Pilsner/Wheat.

I haven't tried Sorachi yet, cuz my LHBS doesn't carry it. However I hear great things.

Briess Pilsner
7 lbs, 0 oz
Weyermann Pale Wheat
4 lbs, 0 oz
Gambrinus Honey Malt
1 lbs, 8 oz
Sorachi Ace Pellets
.25 oz @ 60 mins
Sorachi Ace Pellets
.25 oz @ 30 mins
Sorachi Ace Pellets
.25 oz @ 5 mins
White Labs Hefeweizen Ale IV

1.5lbs of lemon honey added in the secondary
what should I use for lemon flavoring? Lemon peel soaked in vodka? Lemon juice?

any other ideas guys?

Pilsner
7 lbs, 0 oz
White Wheat
7 lbs, 0 oz
Honey Malt
2 lbs
Sorachi Ace Pellets
.25 oz @ 30 mins
Sorachi Ace Pellets
.5 oz @ 5 mins
White Labs Bavarian Weizen

3 pounds honey
zest of 2 lemons soaked overnight in vodka

Ummnnn, I still think you need to bump up the wheat. Maybe do 6-7 pounds of wheat and 4-5 pounds of pilsner. Also, for your first Hefe, you might want to go with WL300. I feel like that's the gold standard for wheat beers. Lots of banana, bubble gum and clove. The WL380 (Hefe IV) is a clove bomb, with subdued fruitiness. It's good, but probably not what you've got in mind. Just my 2 cents though...:mug:

Back