CA wants to raise alcohol taxes upto 12775%

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/indigestion/initiative-would-raise-alcohol/

I hope this doesnt qualify as political post, I hate politics. Some nutcases in CA want to raise alcohol taxes to absurd amounts.

Their solution is a 2700% increase in the excise tax for hard liquor (from $0.65 per 750 mL bottle to $17.57), a 5500% increase for beer (from $0.11 per six-pack to $6.08) and a whopping 12775% increase for wine (from $0.04 per 750 mL bottle to $5.11).

I hope this doesnt pass, CA has a lot of good small craft breweries that this will hurt big time.

Absurd idea, law makers should know better than to propose something that drastic. I think the author puts it very well in the article.

If this initiative actually passed (which it hasn't a snowflake's chance in a blast furnace of doing)....

It ain't gonna happen.

Just like the crazies in Salem that tried to pass a 1900% increase on beer last year. We've got two bozos that keep trying and are just too stupid to realize a modest increase would pass.

They're proposing similar absurd taxes in Maryland on alcohol too.

In this economy, the government will try to tax anything they can, and "sin tax" items are a quick and easy target.

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/indigestion/initiative-would-raise-alcohol/

I hope this doesnt qualify as political post, I hate politics. Some nutcases in CA want to raise alcohol taxes to absurd amounts.

Their solution is a 2700% increase in the excise tax for hard liquor (from $0.65 per 750 mL bottle to $17.57), a 5500% increase for beer (from $0.11 per six-pack to $6.08) and a whopping 12775% increase for wine (from $0.04 per 750 mL bottle to $5.11).

I hope this doesnt pass, CA has a lot of good small craft breweries that this will hurt big time.

I wish all the voters weren't so clueless when it came to stuff like this; they will completely forget about this nonsense when November comes around.

Anyone who proposes such nonsense should not be in office.

I remember when I wrote my congressperson about this...

My last line was -- do what you want, but when this goes through, I will teach everyone I know how to homebrew, and you won't get squat from us.

I already have a very minimal non-homebrew stance (I only have a few drinks out at the bar weekly) -- this will only ensure I won't patronize local businesses that now have to jack up a bottle of BMC another $1/bottle - as if the $4 a bottle I pay now isn't expensive enough.

ONe of the final comments presents a good and valid point - if it is passed it will be cheaper to get high than drunk, I think this would cause more problems in the long run than it would solve!
I don't know if those figure were national or state but if tax revenue is currently $1B and they want to raise that by a minimum of 2700%, wouldn't that be a new revenue of $27B? of corse sales would drop hugely which is probably more of their goal than getting more money. That is the reason for taxes like this I guess, not to recoup money but to deter the behaviour. Same thing goes for smoking.
I think education is a better solution than to basically outlaw it!

They started a petition in NZ to give a tax exemption to craft and micros for the proposed tax increase, reason given was that; it would kill the craft beer bussinesses/industry and that the problem drinking is usually a result of the bigger commercial operations not the craft industry, sort of trying to get more people drinking good beer and learning about beer and enjoying it as a beverage rather than going out and buying the cheapest thing available and getting hammered.

They started a petition in NZ to give a tax exemption to craft and micros for the proposed tax increase, reason given was that; it would kill the craft beer bussinesses/industry and that the problem drinking is usually a result of the bigger commercial operations not the craft industry, sort of trying to get more people drinking good beer and learning about beer and enjoying it as a beverage rather than going out and buying the cheapest thing available and getting hammered.

That would never fly in corporatist America. The BMC lobbyists would wipe their asses with a bill that gave micros a leg up.

If it passes then I'm out of business. No way someone is going to pay $21 for a 6-pack. :mad:

Yup you're right. I can't stand paying 9 bucks for a six pack of local craft brew let alone 21. As much as I really want to support local breweries it REALLY pisses me off to 5+ times the amount I could make the same beer for.

That would never fly in corporatist America. The BMC lobbyists would wipe their asses with a bill that gave micros a leg up.

Yeah that's gotta suck. I guess with the fact that tourism is a big part of the NZ economy having outfits like craft breweries and the like is seen as good for the economy, and not seen as a pesky little flea to the big boys.

I don't think there is any way in hell this will pass.

But if it does, the bartering value of my homebrew will skyrocket.

the bartering value of my homebrew will skyrocket.

police_light.gif

You there! Put down the case of homebrew and put your hands in the air!

police_light.gif

You there! Put down the case of homebrew and put your hands in the air!

HA HA - That's awesome.

Although not from CA nor have I followed the legislation, people who typically propose such movements are often only looking to get their name out for one reason or another. I would highly doubt something like this would pass, but if so, get your gear out 'cause it's brew time every week.

Back