Garage Heat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggage

Reaction score
The sub-zero temperatures have put a bit of a damper on working in my detached garage/shop. Does anyone have suggestions for a cheap and efficient way to heat a detached garage? I'm not crazy about the propane heaters because I don't like the idea of constantly running to refill on gas. I'm considering a wood stove and thought a cheap option would be to make one out of a keg. Any thoughts?

With all the creative minds on this forum and all the brew sheds popping up, I figured it would be a good place to start.

Unfortunately I'm still using propane. I'm thinking that wouldn't be too efficient, but at least I wouldn't have to buy anything else. I'm thinking carbon monoxide might be a concern. How do you get around that in your garage?

I also thought the wood stove might be a nice way to use up scrap wood and twigs and whatnot from the yard.

perhaps a kerosene heater, i've got one for my garage at home and it works pretty well, i havent died yet, i do open it a couple inches for ventilation though

I like the idea of a wood stove. A buddy has one as the only source of heat in his cabin and its great. only downside is that he struggled to find someone to insure the place with the old woodburner in there.

insulation, as mentioned.

a wood stove with a few metal barrels full of water above the stove. the water gets warm and stays warm for hours.

I know you said no propane but this is what I'd go for:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...rs/PRD~0522617P/25K+BTU+Convection+Heater.jsp

Maybe you don't have Canadian tire but I'm sure you could find something similar :D

It can run up to 29h on one 20lb propane tank or so it claims, which is pretty efficient and it heats 600 sqft. $130. If you weren't looking for a permanent heat source that wouldn't be too bad. Turn it on 15 mins before you started brewing and you'd probably be good to go. This would only be good if you didn't need the place warm all the time. Cheap, quick, and probably puts out enough heat that you wouldn't need to insulate and you could still be decently warm while it was on.

I think the wood stove idea is cool. There was a big black cast iron one in my uncle's cabin when I was a kid. What I remember about it is that you start a fire inside and then shut and lock it, and then wait. And wait and wait. It takes a long time for that thing to start giving enough heat off to warm up the entire room but once it does you're laughing. Mind you that place was very well insulated so there's that to consider. I'd hate for you to go to the trouble of making a wood stove and then find out that without the insulation it wasn't going to cut it. There's some risk there. Depends on how cold it is outside and how warm you want to be inside I guess.

The two major problems with wood stores: carbon monoxide and unless you have an outside air inlet, they are really drafty.

You might consider an oil drum smoker with an outside air inlet. The two-barrel designs give great heat transfer.

I would say until it's insulated, nothing is going to make much of a dent in it? Is there at least a ceiling or are the rafters and roof exposed? If the rafters and roof are open, then nothing you do will heat your garage enough to knock more than a few degrees off the immediate space surrounding the heat source.

Once it's insulated if you're brewing, that will be enough to heat the garage up enough to be comfortable in just a long sleeve shirt. Otherwise, I'd go this. It's enough to knock the chill off my garage and bring the temp up to a reasonable amt. even on the coldest days.

My recommendation is to get a portable radiant heater. They can be had for $125 CAN, so probably under $100 USD.

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=44&id=38

It's a radiant heater, so anything in front of it will receive heat. Rather than trying to heat the entire garage (which would be expensive and difficult without insulation), you only heat the area you work in. Due to the design, it supposedly has a clean burn, and doesn't produce a lot of carbon monoxide. I have one, and I use it in my garage with the big door cracked open ~ 3".

I used to have a tube heater; they're brutally loud, and don't do much unless the building is insulated. This one is much quieter, and works way better. Set one up ~4' from your chair, and you'll be toasty warm. Step 4' to either side, and you'll be in the cold until your entire garage warms up. I use one in my -20*C garage, and it works great.

The two major problems with wood stores: carbon monoxide and unless you have an outside air inlet, they are really drafty.

You might consider an oil drum smoker with an outside air inlet. The two-barrel designs give great heat transfer.

What ? Carbon monoxide is exhausted out the flue. And since its in an old barn/garage there is plenty of replacement air. In a new construction an OAK is recommended as the house is sealed up rather well, older homes not so much.

Check out craigslist there are so many pellet and wood stoves out there now they are cheap as hell. Around here they have wood pellets on clearance demand just bottomed out. A small pot bellied stove can put out a surprising amount of heat. I have a waste oil heater and a pellet stove in my garage. I am now using coal to heat my home.

without insulation I can get the garage up to 60° with the pellet stove from low 20's in about an hour but my garage is fairly tight as its only a few years old. But it is 30'x40' with a second floor that I can close off

It's about twenty feet long and fifteen feet wide.

I have so many other expenses that insulating it is really out of the question right now. I'm sure that would be ideal, but I was just wanting something to make it bearable when it's 20 below.

I guess the little radiant/infrared propane heaters seem like the best option for now. The expense of the wood stove's vent/flashing is prohibitive right now.

for doing stuff in my shed or when camping I use the Mr. Heater indoor safe infrared heaters . The 18k BTU one puts out some heat when you are close to it or in a smaller area. Also you may want to check into a quartz electric heater they work the same way as the propane heaters but no fumes or flame. I use one over the workbench when I am doing small work or when working with flammable solvents like carburetor cleaner or paint thinners.

3113344861_4ebda2a750.jpg

Seriously, though I think an actual wood stove or a space heater is your best bet!

At least your garage is not too big. I think a wood stove would be a nice relatively cheap method, but you really need to buy a built unit and install it properly for safety.

For your situation, a radiant heat, or electric unit (if you have AC out there) might help take the chill off. I have a "salamander" heater for my garage, but I only bought it for in case I need to fix the car in the winter. I can point it right at me and my tools and make it bearable. You could never efficiently heat an uninsulated garage with one.

If you are just brewing, I'd recommend a space heater that you can keep nearby. Your burner will help some too.

Back