quick question on bottling Edwort's apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kershner_Ale

Reaction score
I've had the apfelwein in the carboy since Dec. 31st. Was going to bottle it today. In moving the carboy from downstairs to the upstairs kitchen, the apfelwein got shook up a bit. Nothing vigorous, just standard liquid movement when you carry a carboy. Since sitting the carboy on the kitchen countertop, I've noticed carbon dioxide bubbles coming out of the sediment in the bottom and causing the airlock to bubble about 1x / minute. Does this mean the yeast is not done working it's magic and I should not bottle yet? Or is this pretty common when you move a carboy and agitate the sediment a bit?

Thanks,

Jeff

That's perfectly natural. A certain amount of CO2 is dissolved in solution even at room temperature. Agitating the carboy by moving it causes some of that gas to come out of solution.

Have you taken a hydrometer reading? That will tell if fermentation is done more that the airlock. It is surely done at this point, but the hydro reading will confirm and put your mind at ease.

In my experience: slightly below 1.000 with wine/champagne yeasts; slightly above 1.000 with beer yeasts.

Back