Spare ribs, cheddar biscuits and corn on the cob!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurel

Reaction score
Paired with a nice pale ale. I don't have a smoker and lost my wood chips in our move, plus my grill's almost out of propane. I did these guys in the oven for a few hours and they turned out OK, but not nearly as good as when they've been smoked. Oh well, still tasty!
DSCF6902.jpg

DSCF6904.jpg

DSCF6899.jpg

DSCF6900.jpg

The night before that, I made a homemade chicken pot pie with biscuit crust. It was SO good!

I'm feeling a little guilty about our bingeing over the weekend though. We're having roasted veggies and baked chicken breasts tonight with a caesar salad and some homemade hearth bread.

Laurel.
In all honesty...

I AM the chicken pot pie king.

do not forget that.

we will have a pot pie duel webcast if needed.

:p

That "bring it" is based purely on "The Joy of Cooking" and it's the first time I've ever made a pit pie before and it was killer, but give me a couple months of tests and then we'll duel.

Can you provide a recipe for the ribs and cheddar biscuits please? I'm teaching my 12-year-old daughter how to cook and all three of these items (ribs, bread and corn) are her absolute favorites.

Thanks.

The ribs were just a couple racks of ribs that I picked up at costco. Hit them with a dry rub, then put them in the oven on a broiler pan or a sheet pan with a rack in it at 275º for 4-7 hours. When you're satisfied that most of the fat has rendered out, brush them down with bbq sauce, turn the heat up to 450ºish and let the sauce caramelize, then pull them out.

I'll have to get my cookbook out for the biscuits.

MEH, I'll kick botjer a$$es in the pot pie throwdown....

Mine's a modified pre-prison Martha Stewart recipe...with cognac in it.

And a few of Revvy's secret ingredients in it....

So bow down and be in humbled awe of my pot-pie-atude. :D

Uh, Laurel, can I have your Cheddar Biscuit recipe?

Tonight I'm doing my world (or at least Detroit and LA) Chicken Mole'. I'm going to make up a batch of no-knead bread and maybe bake my mole' icebox cookie recipe as well.

I've also injected a venison shoulder with

product_110_closeup.jpg

To do some "redneck fajitas" tomorrow or monday.

And I also racked a lager into secondary in preparation to sticl it back in the cold.

Great day hanging out in the blizzard!

Alright... The cheese biscuit recipe is a classic from The Joy of Cooking and a simple modified biscuit recipe. To make regular ones from it, just remove the cheese and add a little more salt.
Whisk together:
2 cups AP flour
2.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt (I use kosher)
Toss in:
5-6 TB COLD butter cut into pieces
*Cut the butter with 2 knives or a pastry blender, tossing the pieces with the flour mixture to coat and separate them as you work. For biscuits with crunchy edges and flaky, layered structure, continue to cut in the butter until the largest pieces are the size of peas and the rest resemble breadcrumbs. For classic fluffy biscuits, continue to cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Do not allow the butter to melt of form a paste with the flour.
Stir in:
3/4 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese (and if you're cheap like me and want it to have more flavor without buying sharp cheddar, add some real parmesan on top of that)
Add all at once:
3/4 cup milk
*Mix with a rubber spatula, wooden spoon, or fork just until most of the dry ingredients are moistened. With a lightly floured hand, gather the dough into a ball and knead it gently against the sides and bottom of the bowl 5 to 10 times, turning and pressing any loose pieces into the dough each time until they adhere and the bowl is fairly clean.

Roll out the dough 1/2 inch thick, cut to desired shape (I buggered this up and rolled it too thin. I had thin biscuits... oh well)

Bake at 450º til the top turns a nice golden brown - 10-12 minutes. If you want them browner and even worse for you, brush the top with some milk or melted butter before baking.

Merry you?:drunk:

damn that what the last one said... oh well... Yes i am offering marriage beacuse of your cooking prowess and brewing abilities... you have me besatted, you are the sun in my sky, the moon among my stars... oh beautiful women of cooking and the one who know the magic of fermented grain, how thou art... art... art :tank:

MEH, I'll kick botjer a$$es in the pot pie throwdown....

Mine's a modified pre-prison Martha Stewart recipe...with cognac in it.

And a few of Revvy's secret ingredients in it....

So bow down and be in humbled awe of my pot-pie-atude. :D

Uh, Laurel, can I have your Cheddar Biscuit recipe?

Tonight I'm doing my world (or at least Detroit and LA) Chicken Mole'. I'm going to make up a batch of no-knead bread and maybe bake my mole' icebox cookie recipe as well.

I've also injected a venison shoulder with

product_110_closeup.jpg

To do some "redneck fajitas" tomorrow or monday.

And I also racked a lager into secondary in preparation to sticl it back in the cold.

Great day hanging out in the blizzard!

Redneck fajitas:confused:

Try really good ones

Fajitas

Rub:

1/4 cup paprika
2 tbls coarse salt
2 tbls pure chili powder (not blend) I use 1/2 Ancho and 1/2 chipotle
2 tbls cracked black pepper
2 tbls garlic powder
1 ½ tlbs sugar
1 tbls onion powder
1 tbls dried cilantro
1 ½ tps cumin
½ ground allspice

Mix and store in sealed container.

The Fajitas

2 lbs skirt steak
2 tbls olive oil
2 to 3 tbls rub
½ cup fresh lime juice
1 bunch scallion
1 large onion, ½ inch slices
1 poblano pepper(preferred) or green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
18 small flour tortillas

Fixins

Salsa of your choice I usually do an avacado salsa
1 large ripe tomato, seeded and finely diced
1 large red onion finely diced
1 ½ cups coarsely chopped cilantro
1 1/3 cups sour cream

1. Arrange skirt steak in a glass baking dish and brush with the oil. Sprinkle the rub on both sides and pat in with your fingers. Cover and marinate meat in the refridgerator for 1 to 2 hours. Add the lime juice and let marinate for an additional 30 minutes more.

2. Preheat grill to high.

3. Place the vegetables on the grate and grill until nicely charred, 2 to 4 minutes per side for the scallion; 4 to 6 minutes per side for the onion slices; 3 to 4 minutes per side for the peppers. Stem and seed the peppers, slice into strips. Either put on platter or put in oiled cast iron frying pan and put on grill away from direct heat to keep warm.

4. Place the skirt steak on the grate and grill to taste, 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium. Thinly slice the steak across the grain on the diagonal and place on platter or warmed cast iron pan.

5. Warm the tortillas on the grill until soft and pliable, 10 to 20 seconds per side. Place in cloth lined basket and cover to keep warm.

damn that what the last one said... oh well... Yes i am offering marriage beacuse of your cooking prowess and brewing abilities... you have me besatted, you are the sun in my sky, the moon among my stars... oh beautiful women of cooking and the one who know the magic of fermented grain, how thou art... art... art :tank:

Don't forget that, judging by her avatar, she's pretty handy with a firearm as well.

BTW, Laurel, those ribs do indeed look yummy!

:eek: I was just joking about your improper spelling of the word "marry."

:eek: I was just joking about your improper spelling of the word "marry."

I know, but i could spell my way out of a wet paper bag... but hey if a guy cant go around proposeing to pretty, inteligent, and rather handy women (you cook, you brew, you shoot) then life just isnt any fun... besides one day one will acept and then i will really be in trouble...:D.... remember that show Darma and Grege??? Darma and Jack???... thats alomst scary... not that i wouldnt mind the company

Cheers

Latest posts

Back