How Do They Do it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have the unique and very exciting opportunity to visit the Meadery of the Rockies in Palisade Colorado yesterday. Unfortunately the only person there was the gal that was trained to do the tasting...and we tried some VERY good sobriety's. They use Orange Blossom honey from California, but what I did not learn, is how do they speed up the process? We were told that they could take as long as 10 weeks from honey to shelf? WHAT? I have mead that is 6 months old and not even close. What do they add to make it finish, and drinkable in such a short time?

High pitch rates, stepped ferments and blending. Probably some other techniques, but those are the ones I know about.

I wonder what kind of yeast they use? Do Commercial wineries and meaderies use the same yeast's we get?

Would a stepped ferment work if you are looking for 10 - 12 % wine when finished? I thought that was for seriously high ABV%

I don't think that reduced honey is the trick, as they are all around 12% from this place any way.

Back