First time using Liquid Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew hoperator

Reaction score
This is my 4th brew and my first time using Liquid Yeast and I am impressed how fast and active the fermenting is going less than 6 hours from pitch. I used a smack pack with a starter and I am now sold.

Any new brewers that have not tried it should, I used the wiki article to create the starter. Very simple!

:mug:

DrunkTrucker said:
Now that you have used liquid yeast save the yeast and use it on future batches.

Trying to get my thinking straight here as I re-enter the yeast resuse world.

When working with liquid yeast cultures and reusing them, do most folks:

* split the starter that was made from a liquid culture (pitch part into the wort, pitch the rest into sterile water or more starter and refrigerate)

* do the yeast-washing thing out of the primary, as demonstrated in the yeast-washing sticky?

Also, the agar slant approach seems to be a minority approach here. Is it just not worth the effort or are the slanters too busy preparing their beakers of media to post to HBT with wild abandon?

I usually just wash it after primary, unless I am making another batch right away to put on the same yeast cake.

I don't have the equipment I need to make slants, but I'm considering it. I don't have a frost free freezer, so I just haven't really made the effort yet.

Back