A Late Summer Mead...Need Help with Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PKisNJ

Reaction score
Hello!

I am brand new to the world of Mead. This will actually be my first swing at it and I am quite interesting in putting together a mead with ginger and orange peel. Something nice and light to be ready to drink around August.

I was wondering if anyone out there would be familiar with a recipe that involves these flavors or a simple recipe that I could add ginger and orange peel to.

Thanks for the help!!:rockin:

Not if you want it that quickly my friend.

You might as well get some Everclear and add zested orange peel and ginger to that, and make it like a Limoncello......

Anything like a mead is unlikely to be ready in the time frame......

Nice and light might be along the lines of a 4-6% abv, which could potentially be done that quickly. A 10%, probably not. What sort of thing were you looking to do?

If you really wanted to do a mead with those flavors in that time then you could make a hydromel and it may be ok by that time.

I have not done this but would try it like this:

5 gallon recipe

6lb honey
Zest of 5 oranges
5 handfuls of golden raisins (if counted out like 125 raisins)
5 tsp yeast nutrient
2.5 tsp yeast energizer
Yeast (Lalvin 71b)

Mix and pitch all that but use staggered nutrient additions. Once primary is finished I would rack that on top of 2.5 lb fresh ginger that is not skined but just split and crushed. And also another 5 oranges worth of zest.

Let that sit another 30 days or more and keep racking when there is 1/4 in. of lees until you drop no more lees. Bottle once crystal clear.

That should finish dry and be at about 6% abv. If you want it sweeter once it is clear then add 5 crushed Camden tablets, 2.5 tsp of potassium sorbate and 1 or 2 pounds of honey to make an off dry of semi sweet mead.

Back