First time harvesting yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireman-Mike

Reaction score
Im about to bottle up my caribou slobber and would like to harvest the yeast to attempt my first starter with my next brew. I have a mason jar to put the yeast it. My two questions are:
1. Do I need to sanitize my mason jar before putting the yeast in it?

2. Ive been told the refridgerator is the best place to keep yeast and that it will keep for two months. Are both these statements correct?

Boil (or better yet, pressure cook) the jar and the lid, and then let it cool. Use the sterile water to use for the wash, and the jar and lid will be sterile for storage.
Fill the jar to overflowing with your yeast slurry, cap and label, then place in the fridge for many months of storage.
When you open the jar, either flame the mouth, or use sanitizer. I wash the entire jar and spray with sanitizer prior to opening, and then flame the mouth before pouring.

How do you exactly make a slurry? Or is that just the yeast out of the bottom of the carboy

The general term for yeast in suspension is slurry

Yes, sanitize your mason jars. I use starsan. I dont boil/pressure cook. It works fine for me. Im not saying dont boil, just saying I dont.

I keep mine in the fridge too. No problems so far

When its time to use, I just open the jar, pour off the "wort", swirl the yeast to free it from the bottom of the mason jar and dump it in the starter. I dont flame treat or anything. Not saying dont do it, just saying I havent had any problems with the simple process

I just used an old spaghetti sauce jar (cleaned and sanitized with Starsan). No boiling or fire. Of course I usually plan on using it within 1-2 days.

Back