Jeepers that's yucky!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F250

Reaction score
OMG that's just horrible, I'm pretty sure I'll have to pour this out. :eek:

Damned kid at the store talked me into buying some Traquair House Ale and I hate it! :mad:

I'll probably never try a Scottish Ale again, using this as a guide, their ales are as atrocious as their whiskeys.

Damn you Scotland!

Rick

Writing off an entire nation's beer heritage based on the experience of one bottle is a bit extreme. It's possible the beer was badly stored or transported. A thousand things can happen to a beer between brewer and your glass.

I used to say Bourbon was awful and then I discovered several fine, well made Bourbons that made me eat my words.

And BTW, cheap Scotch can be atrocious. Good, well-aged single malt is a thing of beauty beyond words. If you've only had some cheap blended Scotch then you haven't had the real stuff.

PS: Alba Gu Brath!!!!

Writing off an entire nation's beer heritage based on the experience of one bottle is a bit extreme. It's possible the beer was badly stored or transported. A thousand things can happen to a beer between brewer and your glass.

I used to say Bourbon was awful and then I discovered several fine, well made Bourbons that made me eat my words.

And BTW, cheap Scotch can be atrocious. Good, well-aged single malt is a thing of beauty beyond words. If you've only had some cheap blended Scotch then you haven't had the real stuff.

PS: Alba Gu Brath!!!!

Probably the best Scotch I've bought would be either Balvenie Double Wood, or Glenmorangie 12 Year. Obviously there are more highly respected scotches, but these I believe are respectable bottles.

I simply don't like Scotch, it's the smokey, peaty flavor that gets me. Ack! I have a few friends that appreciate both when they're over. Heathens both.

Now, I do like bourbon, might have to pour a glass of Bookers to get the taste of the Traquair Ale off my pallet. :eek:

I may try some other Scotish Ales, but I'll not be buying this abomination again.

Rick

Scotch is good but bourbon is delicious! I have a stiffy for Woodford Reserve at the moment.

Scotch is good but bourbon is delicious! I have a stiffy for Woodford Reserve at the moment.

Woodford is good. I kinda like my bourbon to have rye in the mash bill. I also like rye. Bulliet rye is surprisingly good considering it's price point.

Rick

I have a bottle of bulliet under the counter as well and i do like it, just not as much as the Woodford. I was unaware it had rye in it.

I have a bottle of bulliet under the counter as well and i do like it, just not as much as the Woodford. I was unaware it had rye in it.

Wait, I'm not referencing Bulliet bourbon, with the orange label, I'm talking about the rye whiskey which has a green label. :)

Rick

Traquair is amazingly delicious. Truly the world standard for a scotch ale. Just like any world class drink, if you don't like it you need to drink more. I would say its an acquired taste, but that's not the drink's fault.

Of course, it could be that this style is not right for you or your palette. I just didn't want to see you swear off and entire line of brewing simply because of one bad bottle. As for bourbon, Bulleit is my favorite.

Traquair is amazingly delicious. Truly the world standard for a scotch ale. Just like any world class drink, if you don't like it you need to drink more. I would say its an acquired taste, but that's not the drink's fault.

Um, drink more what? :drunk:

Rick

Of course, it could be that this style is not right for you or your palette. I just didn't want to see you swear off and entire line of brewing simply because of one bad bottle. As for bourbon, Bulleit is my favorite.

I like Bulliet bourbon, but I love their rye. :)

Rick

Rye Bulliet? Dang, something new to try!

Not that that's a bad thing. I just looked at my whiskey reserves, and things are low. I have maybe three shots of Bulliet and two of Woodford. Not that I shoot it. In a glass with a few ice cubes, nothing more.

Rye Bulliet? Dang, something new to try!

Not that that's a bad thing. I just looked at my whiskey reserves, and things are low. I have maybe three shots of Bulliet and two of Woodford. Not that I shoot it. In a glass with a few ice cubes, nothing more.

Miles, have you tried the silicon ice trays that create the big 1.5" x 1.5" cubes? One of those in a double Old Fashion glass is the perfect amount of ice/water for bourbon IMHO. One cube and a three finger pour, perfect! :D

ps, that Bulliet Rye is really good, better than their bourbon.

Rick:tank:

If you don't like Scotch then either you are drinking the cheapest you can find or you just don't like liquor at all. Johnnie Walker Black is some good stuff. Although being from the home of Bourbon I tend to buy it more.

I think there is a pretty good difference in imported scottish ales wich are mainly classic/traditional rather than american scottish-which dont follow guidelines exactly all the time, there are alot of really good american ones like Robert the Bruce/3 floyds- then again almost everything they make is great.

Moylan's - Kilt Lifter

thats a good scottish ale. although its not imported from scotland, its brewed in California, its a really good beer and if you like pale's and india pales you will probably like it. just my 2c

Moylan's - Kilt Lifter

thats a good scottish ale. although its not imported from scotland, its brewed in California, its a really good beer and if you like pale's and india pales you will probably like it. just my 2c

That was my first beer-love. Didn't used to get it in Reno so I'd regularly make the trek over Donner Pass into the Sierra Nevadas to get a hold of some.

Also, in response to the title: "Whoa, isn't it a little early to start dropping J-bombs?" :D

Back