moving a batch of beer prior to bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinHooligan

Reaction score
Search function on the Android app is useless so I'm sorry up front if this has been answered before. I find myself in the unfortunate circumstance of having to move unexpectedly. I have a big IIPA in the fermentor that I was planning to dry-hop before bottling. I am currently at FG and ready for a 7 day dry-hop. Has anyone successfully moved a batch of beer from one location to another in primary before bottling with success? Would adding some boiled sugar or dme right before or after moving use up the oxygen added from moving to avoid oxygenation?

You're not going to be introducing much if any O2 into your beer at this point. You'd have to get O2 in there to even have to worry about it. Make your move as gently as possible, but if everything stays sealed you should be O.K.

Again, you have all or mostly CO2 in the fermenter, so Moving it around isn't going to introduce much if any O2 into your fermenting beer.

Keep it calm though.

if you pack it carefully, should be no problems. Maybe allow a day or two extra or cold crash to settle what ever gets kicked up in the move.

The move would be across town, maybe 45 minute drive. I guess I'm just concerned with splashing around that will inevitably happen while driving.

And, another thing...
Not to sound like a paranoid freak, but depending on the coolness of PD, that could possibly be illegal transportation...Any Lawyers (goddamn you) in the house?

Back