**Help** Out quick connect is leaking by

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bambam26

Reaction score
I went to hookup a keg of beer in my kegerator and after hooking up the line to my faucet it keeps leaking by? Is this a poppit problem you think? It is an already primed ale that is really good and I am not sure of what to do? Can I transfere into another keg? :(

OK what do you mean by "leaking by". Did you crank down on all the hose clamps as tight as they'll go? Can you hear where the gas is coming from?

[edit] if by "out quick connect is leaking by" do you mean beer is dribbling down the side of the keg? Tighten the entire "out" post assembly with a socket wrench. Nothing should come out when the liquid disconnect is not attached. If this only happens when it is attached, could be a bad poppet or a bad liquid disconnect.

It is dribbling beer down the side of the keg after I attach the Quick connect. I tried it with 2 different quick connects and get the same result. No leaking when nothing is connected.

Two things: check your orings on the post, make sure they're happy and not scarfed up. A cut in the oring could mean beer seeps past it, and you lose both beer and co2.

Second, and I've had this personally, flat blade screwdriver and ensure the top of the disconnect is screwed down all the way. I had one that was shipped to me slightly unscrewed for whatever reason and beer would seep out the top of the disconnect.

Also, there's an oring inside the disconnect (unscrew the above mentioned disconnect big fat plastic screw thingy on top), if that's all wrecked it could cause a leak.

It isn't the discconect I checked, I think it is a poppit that is the problem. This was a kegged primed ale, do you think I could rack it into another keg?

Short answer is yes, you could transfer it out, but I agree with WhiteEagle1, if you have another keg, just swap posts and then you can get the parts you need later.

The poppet doesn't matter at this point though. The poppet itself (the spring thingy) is always depressed when a disconnect is hooked up. So whether it's working or not, it's open and not affecting anything. A failing poppet will exhibit itself when your disconnect ISN'T on, it would leak or something.

Check your orings on the post and the disconnect itself. Swapping the whole post out might do it if it's the orings, but it's a fair bit of overkill. You can just switch the orings on the top of the post (1/16th of an inch below the top of the post, not the one on the diptube, though it could be that one too).

Post poppets DO NOT cause leaks when a QD is properly installed and latched. At that point the poppet is wide open anyway - so what's going to "leak"? - and
the QD is relying on the outer post O-ring to seal.

So, three possibilities: the post O-ring is not doing it's job, OR the post isn't sealing on the top of the dip tube flange, OR the dip tube O-ring is missing or defective and the keg is actually leaking from under the post...

Cheers!

[edit: ok, I was a bit late to the party ;) ]

Perhaps the problem could have something to do with the poppet always being depressed. Depression: It's nothing to laugh about.

Thanks everyone!!!! Psych your idea for the oring just down from the top was it! I switched it out with another one and now my Droptine Pale Ale is on tap!!! Thanks again

Woot, awesome. I've got a few really scratched up orings that I saw recently which I think will fail like this soon, so it was definitely top of my mind :) And hey, orings are cheap, yeah!

Back