Pics! Help, wait it out or toss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeyBru

Reaction score
This was my third batch. First two are great.

5.0 gal. This one went according to recipe, mash was a little high to start (158 for first couple mins) otherwise went well. 90 minute mash as it was BIAB, preboil grav 1.020. 80 minute boil per recipe suggestion. The recipe is 6lb 2row, 1.8lb flaked corn, 0.5lb minute rice a la Biermuncher Cream of three crops. I added 0.5oz extra hops at 5 mins. Whrilfloc at 10mins. Chilled in 14mins with immersion chiller. Oxygenated with 90seconds of oxygen at 0.5 litre per minute flow. Pitched Wyeast British Ale as it's what I had on hand. Sanitized everything to death with StarSan.

Woke up this morning to the craziest carboy I've ever seen. Bubbling well, not a huge krausen like my first two batches.

Wondering if any of the veterans round here can give me some input.

thanks kindly!

HBT rocks :ban:.

Sorry the pic is sideways, tried 5 times uploading, changing aspects, re-saving etc

photo-16.jpg

I've never used that exact yeast, but the English/British yeast strains I've used from white labs have all looked slightly different from most other strains, with WLP002 English Ale Yeast being very chunky. So what your seeing could be a result if the yeast you used.

that is awesome. I have no idea why it is doing that though.

That looks like some big yeast floccs and proteins, since you only pitched it yesterday I believe its very unlikely for anything other than the normal fermentation to be happening there. It looks pretty chunky for sure, but its probably fine.

Thanks men. Day 2 is already looking more homogenous.

What an awesome hobby.

image-2955016416.jpg

Sorry if I scared you when you posted this on the recipe page, it was just that I never saw anything like that before! At least in my beers. It is good to know that others think it is just fine though as I would have been freaking out if that was my beer :)

Its all good. Im not really scared. The best was the look on my wifes face and the "you spent two hours outside doing that and this is what you get, you idiot" look. Priceless.

I think you suffer from the same disease that I have.....over thinking. I do that constantly, the one thing is that the beer continues to turn out well. Its very forgiving.

Day 5 in primary. Settling out well. Thinking of racking to secondary at day 8-10. Gravity today 1.010.

Got a black IPA in mind for next brew. Searched around and the Stone XI clone seems to be a hit. Anyone have a dark IPA recipe that really rocked?

image-1992574901.jpg

The Stone Escondidan Black IIPA is by far my favorite beer I've brewed. It's a BIG beer, but very good. My accidental change was 8 oz. of cold-brewed coffee (we were also bottling a Coffee Stout and things got mixed up). Turned out to be a hit with everyone I gave it to.

HeyBru said:
Day 5 in primary. Settling out well. Thinking of racking to secondary at day 8-10. Gravity today 1.010.

Got a black IPA in mind for next brew. Searched around and the Stone XI clone seems to be a hit. Anyone have a dark IPA recipe that really rocked?

Sublimely self righteous clone

90% Pale Ale Malt
5% Crystal 60L
5% Carafa Special III

(2-3 oz) Chinook at 60 min to target 100 IBU (calculated)
2 oz Amarillo at whirlpool*
2 oz Simcoe at whirlpool*
2 oz Amarillo dry hop 5 days
2 oz Simcoe dry hop 5 days

Yeast - WLP007

HeyBru said:

Secondary? Oh, I didn't! ;)

That Stone Recipe looks almost exactly like the Stone XI recipe and it's for sure my next brew! Read my mind :mug:

Brulosopher: I'm only gonna secondary to hopefully clear it up even further. Might dry hop it a bit as well just to make it my own.

What do you guys think is the IBU range that gets into face-sucking bitterness? I see the Stone recipes call for about 120 and a bucket full of dry hops. Forgive my Noobness :cross:

HeyBru said:
That Stone Recipe looks almost exactly like the Stone XI recipe and it's for sure my next brew! Read my mind :mug:

Brulosopher: I'm only gonna secondary to hopefully clear it up even further. Might dry hop it a bit as well just to make it my own.

What do you guys think is the IBU range that gets into face-sucking bitterness? I see the Stone recipes call for about 120 and a bucket full of dry hops. Forgive my Noobness :cross:

Similar clarity will be had by keeping it in primary, especially if you cold crash. Secondary was originally intended to get the beer off of dead yeast to prevent autolysis. Either way, cheers!

Just bottled yesterday. Cleared up nicely. I moved to secondary after 9 days and dry hopped with an ounce of east kent goldings as I've been on a hop craze recently. Tasted great, grav 1.008. Gonna be a long three weeks

image-3867102972.jpg

I bet it will even be better in another 10 days or so.

I have had some that seemed carbed and good at 2 weeks but were amazingly better after 3 weeks.

2 months bottle conditioned. Doesn't get much clearer than this.

**Sidenote** Stone 11th Aniv Clone recipe on HBT is rediculous. Wish I could have brewed 25gal :ban:

cream ale 3.jpg

Back