Yeast taste in root beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen115

Reaction score
I brewed some root beer the other day. Left it out in 2 liter bottles to carbonate for a couple of days till the bottle was firm. refrigerated, and then did a taste test. The root beer flavor is there but it has this yeasty flavor to it. also smells like yeast. anyone have a clue on why this is happening and how I can fix it? I followed the recipe. Also, I'm using Fleischmann's ActiveDry Yeast

thank you
SJ

you might have better luck with a neutral ale yeast like s-04 (youll need to go to a homebrew supply store for this). i think bread yeast has a more pronounced flavor. i made a ginger ale with 1056 (same/similar to s-04) and it turned out perfect.

before giving up on it, let it chill for another couple of days. a ton more yeast will drop out of suspension and that may also help the flavor.

The yeasty taste comes from the yeast.

I'd use champagne yeast. It's super neutral and gives me the best soda flavor. It's also super cheap! Red Star Champagne yeast is about $.49 cents a pack, and you only need a portion of the pack.

A couple of other things- chill the soda well, and pour it in one pour so that you don't resuspend the yeast on the bottom of the container by pouring a bit, then some more. If you're got a 2L bottle, I'd pour the glasses in one motion one right after the other and not pour and put down. I started bottling my rootbeer in 16 ounce bottles so that I wouldn't mix up the yeast on the bottom when serving, as 16 ounces is a nice sized serving.

Thank you all! some really fast replies on this forum. I'll the champagne yeast, I looked for it at walmart but I couldn't find it. there is a brew shop close by so I might try there

I got the recommend yeast from my local brewing store. I brewed it saturday around 1pm and today I went to feel the bottles. they were almost rock hard, is this normal? I've heard it takes 3-4 days? also, how long should I leave them in the refrigerator?

thanks
SJ

I got the recommend yeast from my local brewing store. I brewed it saturday around 1pm and today I went to feel the bottles. they were almost rock hard, is this normal? I've heard it takes 3-4 days? also, how long should I leave them in the refrigerator?

thanks
SJ

It depends on the temperature- warmer temperatures mean it'll carb up faster. You can leave them in the fridge indefinitely.

so just cracked it open and poured into a cold mug. first thoughts: Good taste, smooth, good color. right foam, but there is still a yeasty flavor to it. not like the first batch, I can actually drink this batch. Am I always going to get this flavor when I use the yeast? should I look into force carbonation?

so just cracked it open and poured into a cold mug. first thoughts: Good taste, smooth, good color. right foam, but there is still a yeasty flavor to it. not like the first batch, I can actually drink this batch. Am I always going to get this flavor when I use the yeast? should I look into force carbonation?

You shouldn't get yeasty flavor. Try using less champagne yeast in the next batch, and then consider leaving it in the fridge a bit longer so that the yeast all settles on the bottom, and pour off carefully to avoid the yeast.

We made root beer (and ginger ale) for years this way, with good results!

Oh, one other thing- maybe think about using smaller bottles. You could still make up a 2L pitcher of the root beer, but then pour it into 12 oz or 16 oz soda bottles, so you could pour it into a mug in one pour without going up and down to resuspend the yeast that is at the bottom.

You shouldn't get yeasty flavor. Try using less champagne yeast in the next batch, and then consider leaving it in the fridge a bit longer so that the yeast all settles on the bottom, and pour off carefully to avoid the yeast.

We made root beer (and ginger ale) for years this way, with good results!

Oh, one other thing- maybe think about using smaller bottles. You could still make up a 2L pitcher of the root beer, but then pour it into 12 oz or 16 oz soda bottles, so you could pour it into a mug in one pour without going up and down to resuspend the yeast that is at the bottom.

I'm using Safale s-04. I was going to use champagne yeast but they recommend I not.

I am being careful when pouring

I have just completed batch 2. Still not happy. Tastes like fermented root beer.
3 gallons:
1tbls root beer extract (rainbow)
2 cups gran sugar
2 cups brwn sugar
2 cups stevia sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp Champagne yeast

water boil temp at 110 (fast bubble)

brewed for 3 days with a Pressure relief valve at top of 3 gallon bottle.

The taste is fermenty, and the liquid looks like unfiltered rootbeer (grainy).

I really want this to work, but am a little frustrated right now. I guess I need more explicit instructions.

I have a stock pot and boiled water to 105-110 degrees, put the yeast in and let it dissolve, then added all the sugar and extract. Poored into the 3 gallon bottle and capped for 3 days. The pressure relief valve works like a "P" trap. It allows gas to escape but does not allow air to get in (bought at brew store).

Does anyone see problems with this?? I LOVE ROOT BEER, as I have not drank alcohol in 5 years and i am 38 yrs old.:mug:

brewed for 3 days with a Pressure relief valve at top of 3 gallon bottle.

By allowing it to ferment for three days, and letting the pressure out, you will have fermented root beer.

The only reason to use yeast at all is to carbonate the root beer, not to ferment it. By fermenting it, and letting out the c02, you're making an alcoholic beverage and not soda.

Next time, make up a very small batch. Use 1/4 teaspoon of yeast (champagne yeast only) for a 2L size batch. Don't boil or anything, just mix it up. Then pour it into your 2L soda bottle. Cap tightly. When hard, put it in the fridge.

After it's had time to sit in the fridge for two days, pour the soda into a glass, being careful to not resuspend the yeast in the bottom.

There will always be a small amount of alcohol in homemade soda that uses yeast to carbonate. If you are not able to drink any alcohol at all, then you'd need to force carbonate the rootbeer instead of using yeast to carbonate it.

Back