Do I have enough time/yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old-Ned

Reaction score
I plan on brewing an Imperial Stout this Saturday that should start at 1.112 (70% efficiency) or 1.08 (the more likely 50% efficiency). Tomorrow (Thursday) I'll be getting my smack pack of Wyeast 1056 and plan on doing a 1.5-2L starter.

Is this enough time, and will there be enough yeast to pitch on Saturday? Or should I order more yeast/make the starter earlier next week and hold off on the brew?

Using mrmalty.com and assuming fairly fresh yeast you will need a starter of about 2.5 liters using 1 pack.

Yeastcalc.com gives info for making a step starter although starting one on Thursday evening and getting it ready for Saturday would be difficult.

I usually do a step for 12-18 hours chill for 24 or so then decant the liquid for the next step. So I would take 3 days or more.

Yeah, I just under pitched a Red and regretted it. I'm torn between what I should do and what I want to do. :) I guess I was hoping there some magical way to step up my starter in a day or so. haha

Old-Ned said:
I plan on brewing an Imperial Stout this Saturday that should start at 1.112 (70% efficiency) or 1.08 (the more likely 50% efficiency). Tomorrow (Thursday) I'll be getting my smack pack of Wyeast 1056 and plan on doing a 1.5-2L starter.

Is this enough time, and will there be enough yeast to pitch on Saturday? Or should I order more yeast/make the starter earlier next week and hold off on the brew?

I'm mobile right now so can't go to the site but I think you will new a bigger starter than 1.5-2L

Go to yeastcalc.com and plug in the numbers. This site will allow you to calculated stepped starters. My guess is you will need to brew later:)

by getting your pack do you mean at the store or in the mail. If you're at the store just buy two. If not, wait to brew or underpitch and hope for the best.

OK. If I were able to get my hands on another pack or two...would you get a few packs and just pitch or make the stater on Friday. This would also be my first starter, so I'm clueless. Thanks!

I'd throw 4 liquid packs in a beer that big or 3 dry packs. Just get the US05 if you get more yeast and rehydrate and pitch. Same thing as 1056 at a fraction of the cost. Whatever you do, don't underpitch that beer. If you do you might get lucky and just underattenuate, but you will most likely end up with paint thinner.

Do you have any other ingredients available to brew a smaller gravity beer?

If not I would put off brew day until you can do a proper starter or spend the big bucks to pitch multiple packs.

Without a stirplate to properly ferment the starter would take a couple of days.

But then again I have a plenty big pipeline so I am not in any big hurry to brew.

Do you have any other ingredients available to brew a smaller gravity beer?

If not I would put off brew day until you can do a proper starter or spend the big bucks to pitch multiple packs.

Without a stirplate to properly ferment the starter would take a couple of days.

But then again I have a plenty big pipeline so I am not in any big hurry to brew.

Well, all of the ingredients will be pre-milled and packaged together. Nothing else to make another. I'd have to order it. I did think about brewing a smaller beer and pitching on the cake.

I do have a stir plate, though.

If you have a stir plate and 1 yeast pack based on your original numbers you should do a starter of 3.54 liters or 1.73. According to Mr Malty. I would think 2 days would be enough as long as your ok with not cold crashing and decanting but instead just throw the thing in like some people do at high krausen.

Mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

How's he going to do a 3.54L starter in 2 days with what I'm guessing is a 2L flask? Maybe if you can get a growler to work with your stirplate, but you are most likely going to lose a bunch of yeast out of the top. If it were me, I'd plan on brewing next weekend and do a 1.5L starter on your 1 pack of 1056, then split that in half and do another 1.5L on each half. That should build enough yeast over the next week and will give you time to transfer each starter to another container and decant it before pitching so you don't have to dump a gallon of liquid in your beer.

I was also wondering how to do a 3.5L starter in my 2L flask. :) I think I may try to get a few packs of the US 05. That way I get to brew, don't have to worry about shipping in the heat or making a starter, and I'll save a few bucks (as opposed to ordering several more 1056). Thanks for the help, guys!

chumpsteak said:
How's he going to do a 3.54L starter in 2 days with what I'm guessing is a 2L flask? Maybe if you can get a growler to work with your stirplate, but you are most likely going to lose a bunch of yeast out of the top. If it were me, I'd plan on brewing next weekend and do a 1.5L starter on your 1 pack of 1056, then split that in half and do another 1.5L on each half. That should build enough yeast over the next week and will give you time to transfer each starter to another container and decant it before pitching so you don't have to dump a gallon of liquid in your beer.

Just make your starter in whatever carboy you are going to ferment in. Decant the liquid after the yeast crash out and pitch your yeast on the cake.

That's not a bad idea, but without a stirplate he needs about a 10 Liter starter. That's a big @ss starter and a lot of DME. If you're going to get more liquid yeast you really should do at least a 1L starter on each of them before pitching to wake them up and make sure they are viable. Or you could just pitch 4 packs and hope for the best. I'd still probably go the dry yeast route if it were me....it's the same yeast and there are more viable yeast in the pack as long as you re-hydrate first. Mr. Malty says you can get by with 2 packs of the dry yeast but I'd probably buy 3 and pitch 2.5 rehydrated packs to be sure you're getting enough.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

DrHop said:
Just make your starter in whatever carboy you are going to ferment in. Decant the liquid after the yeast crash out and pitch your yeast on the cake.

Sounds like a plan to me.
I never said put 3.5 liters in a 2 liter vessel. Just reporting the facts from Mr malty. If you can figure it out then great, if not then wait.
Not sure if a stir plate will work with a carboy though but I applaud the out of box thinking!

I've never even thought of using the carboy for a starter. That's awesome! I may have to try that next time I need a large starter. It definitely wouldn't fit on my stir plate, though. I guess I'd just do the ole walk by and swirl.

Back