Can SP50 Burner Handle 10 Gallon Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoudounBrew

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a burner. I like the sq14 but want something taller so I can just drain the kettle into the carboy, and I can barely hammer a nail much less weld legs onto a burner.

So I thought that the SP50 might be the answer. But I wasn't sure if it could handle a 10-gallon batch. Can the SP50 get 12 or 13 gallons to a full boil and or 9 gallons of sparge water to 175 degrees in a decent amount of time? Also, my kettle has a 19 inch diameter and the SP50 has a 14-inch diameter. Is that going to be an issue?

Thanks for any help.

They can easily handle a 13 Gallon boil, but they are loud.
Maybe you can just take a few cinder blocks and elevate the sq-14?

Yea, I thought of doing something like that. Just wasn't sure if I had anything around the garage that was a foot or two tall that I'd feel safe enough to put a big-time flame and 13 gallons of boiling wort, so I was hoping the SP50 would do the job. I'd like to keep my space needs to a minimum. The wife grudgingly tolerates the hobby as it is.

Latest posts

Back