Mango IPA (please critique)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teamhzrdpball

Reaction score
I just brewed a mango IPA. This is my first IPA, as well as the first beer using fruit. The recipe is a take off of zombie dust clone, but with a slightly higher OG and the addition of 4oz of dried mango and 4oz of dried green mangos in the boil. The wort tastes good, and you can get a mango flavor, so I hope that will come through later. Also, if you could comment on possibly secondarying with mango that would be helpful. I was considering dry hop and mango in the secondary but wanted to get some imput.

malt & fermentables
% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
83% 6 0 American Two-row Pale 37 1 ~
5% 0 6 American Wheat 39 2 ~
5% 0 6 American Crystal 40L 34 40 ~
3% 0 4 Caramunich Malt 40 33 40 ~
3% 0 4 Caramel Pils 30 8 ~
7 4
Batch size: 2.7 gallons (Shot for 3 but ended up with 2.7ish)
Original Gravity
1.072 measured
(1.072 estimated) (my efficiency was a bit off, but ended with my estimated, though had .3 gal less than expected)

Color
9° SRM / 17° EBC
(Gold to Copper)

USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 0.3 Citra leaf 13.2
boil 50 mins 0.125 Citra leaf 13.2
boil 40 mins 0.25 Citra leaf 13.2
boil 30 mins 0.25 Citra leaf 13.2
boil 20 mins 0.25 Citra leaf 13.2
boil 10 mins 0.25 Citra leaf 13.2

s-04 yeast

Generally, any fruit you use should be in the last third of fermentation or in secondary. Any sooner and you will loose most of the fruit in the boil/fermentation. I'd expect most of your mango additions not to come through if you added them to the boil. Secondary with mango puree might work.

I'm planning on making a mango wheat, but like boist said the mango will go in the secondary. Its a 5 gal batch and will take about 6 whole mangos.

Those hop additions seem kind of odd to me for an IPA. And is it really only less than 2 oz of hops?

I was considering using mango and citra dry hop in the secondary, but sampling the finished wort does have a good mango flavor. It really tastes great, so I believe boiling the mango did have some effect, though I don't know if that is due to the mango in the boil or from the tropical fruit flavors of the citra hop.

Yes, it is less than 2 oz for an ipa, but its a small batch. According to beer calculus it should be around 100 ibus. I used whole leaf and didn't use a hop bag, so hopefully they are fully utilized.

I didn't know how well fresh mango puree would work in the secondary, because wouldn't you have to boil it? And then it would just leave some sludge and sit at the bottom. I don't know if there would be much gained from that.

Back