Mead in 3 months?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK Brew

Reaction score
I'm trying to have a batch of mead ready for a wedding in 3 months and I don't know if it's possible. This will be my first attempt at brewing and I'm not sure how long it will take. I have seen recipes claim 3 weeks until drinkable and others that recomend 1 year. Can anyone suggest a recipe and technique for brewing that will get it done by mid July? Thanks and I look forward to hearing!

Yes, use Joes Ancient Orange Mead, but do it EXACTLY like the recipe says. Just do a search for it, its very popular. I personally haven't yet tried it, so maybe someone else can chime in here. 3 months is cutting it close though. good luck.

mike

I made Joe's Ancient Orange mead last summer, and it's still pretty "hot". Yes, it's done fermenting but it still tastes a bit like hot cough syrup. I hate to be negative, but I think mead is a one or two year commitment. It takes a long time to ferment out and then to mellow.

Maybe someone else made the JAO and found it to go quicker. I just don't think mead can be rushed.

I let my Ancient Orange go for 3-4 months (don't remember at this point) and it was quite good.

I've yet to hit that balance between a good mead (body, flavor, and alcohol content) and quick mead (which for me comes out watery, weak, and useable for topping off only).

mike

Everyone here will tell you I'm wrong, but I made Papazian's Antipodal mead with raspberries (yeah, yeah, melomel) and it was done and drinkable in two months. Everyone I've given it to seems to love it.

I used like 4 packets of yeast though, and about 3/4 of an ounce of yeast nutes... so maybe that helped.

We made a 5 gal. batch of JAO on 4-9-06 and bottled it on 5-28-06. We tried it on 8-26-06 and found it wasnt very good. We opened the next bottle on 2-14-07 and found something completely different. It was very good, the flavors have blended and settled, the bite was very nice compared to the previous tasting. Only judging from ours I would say brew it and let it alone for at least 9 months before you try the first bottle, I sure wish we had. I'm still not happy with it but the ladies all love it.........good luck and like everyone on this board told us when we started brewing mead, it takes time for mead to be good. We now believe this to be fact and our next meads will be in bottle for at least 9 months before we ever try them.

Back