Shelf life of corn sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adhomebrew10

Reaction score
When I ordered my initial brewing ingredients, I ordered 5lb of corn sugar (accident). I only plan to use this stuff for priming bottles, so how long will it last if I keep it sealed? Will it be around longer than a twinke? :D
-adhomebrew10

I doubt it will last longer than a Twinkie. The current record is 35 years. It's so old the green mold on it has died.

I got about 50lbs of corn sugar a year ago. Somebody I knew worked at a place that made pharmaceutical grade sugars. They were throwing it away so they rescued me two 25# tubs.

It will last along time. If you store it right, it will last indefinitely. Keeping it dry is the key thing. Bug-free would be good too.

I keep mine in ziplocs in the deep freeze. If you want to see someone get the big eyes, pull out a large bag of white powder from the freezer, and tell them you are thinking about going into business for yourself.

I keep mine in ziplocs in the deep freeze. If you want to see someone get the big eyes, pull out a large bag of white powder from the freezer, and tell them you are thinking about going into business for yourself.

Tell me about it!!!! I have two mini-drums of white powder in large plastic bags each about 12.5lbs! Not something you want to transport.

Assuming that protons don't decay, and that the universe won't actually collapse in on itself, I'd say about a bazillion years, if kept dry.

Back