new guy needs a bit of advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will4009

Reaction score
Hello all, first post.

i have been interested in the possibility of brewing my own beer for some time and would like a bit of advice on the best way to start. i have been looking at the complete starter kits, like the cooper micro brew. are these kits a good place to start because everything that you need is included? i see some of the kits use carbonation drops, are these work effectivley in carbonating the beer? i would be greatful of any help or advice!

thanks

It looks like a pretty good starter kit. You can find some online that use buckets or even glass carboys, but i'm not too familiar with any sites in the UK. It looks like all of the stuff is plastic. Some people swear by plastic, some people swear against it. I'd say give it a shot. If you end up enjoying beer brewing, you'll have plenty of time to try and tweak your methods till you find what you like. Good luck and welcome to HBT :mug:

oops I did not see that your in the UK. Morebeer may be a bit of a stretch. Perhaps there is a local shop?

Just stay away from those can kits.

thanks for the great advice, i have had a look around and there arn't any brew shops in my area. so i will be buying online. that balliihoo kit looks great, i just might give it a try!

thanks again

Why do you not like the carb drops? I've never had a problem using them. They're expensive if you're brewing a lot, compared to corn sugar, but I always had good results.
used them once, got little floating pieces of something like sugar or DME. I've read the same thing on here somewhere also. I have only used them once so if you have used them more and with better results I would not argue:mug:

Actually don't use them anymore. I used them because I was "scared" of priming sugar. :eek: Afraid of over or under carbonation so I used them for a few batches 2 years ago. I have since overcome my fear of priming sugar! hahahaha And they really are expensive if you bottle a lot.:mug:

www.howtobrew.com you can read about 8 pages and never need to read anything again and make great beer every time. however i am sure you will keep reading =) anywho that is a free version of the book once you read some you will probably want the printed version can get it off amazon for like 14 bucks

Just remember if you're in doubt, get the better or bigger one (of anything where you have the options and the money). You'll move on to all grain soon enough and will be happy you don't have to buy the better or bigger one at that time...

used them once, got little floating pieces of something like sugar or DME. I've read the same thing on here somewhere also. I have only used them once so if you have used them more and with better results I would not argue:mug:

Coopers carbonation drops don't leave floating pieces. I have heard of floaties in competing carb tabs but not Coopers.

Not sure on this coopers kit as I have no link to it...

I got my kit from midwestern which isn't gonna work for UK but they sell them on amazon and ebay that do have UK sites and it's same sort of kits...

You'll want more than one primary way more than one at some point....what ever kit you get make sure it has good quality pieces you'll continue to use as you grow your kit because you will.

Back