Sour Pumpkin Beer advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Starting think about my annual Pumpkin brewing for fall, and was thinking about doing a sour version.

What would be a good base for a sour pumpkin brew?
Has anyone done one?

I did a sour butternut squash brown a couple years ago. I was happy with the results, but the squash flavor was subtle at most. It was inspired by Alpine's sour wine barrel aged pumpkin beer, Ichabod. I’d keep the spicing subtle, and add as much pumpkin as you want,.

Jolly Pumpkin did one also La Parcela. It was pretty well done, not a lot of spice of pumpkin from what I remember
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/jolly-pumpkin-la-parcela-no-1-pumpkin-ale/94686/

Also New Belgium did a Spiced Version of their Dark Sour Base, Oscar. It was one of the more unique and very fun to drink beers at the Stone Sour Fest in 2010.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/new-belgium-love--oscar-spiced/126359/

The spice was the neat part with the sour. It seem to work pretty well. Neither of these had too much funk just mostly lactic acid sourness. I'm not sure I'd like 5 gallons, but if you like pumpkin beer than maybe you will.

Any update on this? I have been thinking about making a sour pumpkin ale myself, just not sure what I'm going to do yet...

Yeah.. it's too late. I just got really busy, and didn't have time. I'm stocking up on canned pumpkin so I can start this in the spring.

I realize it's probably too late to sour a pumpkin ale for this year. I was thinking about possibly making a 10 gallon batch though, having having 5 gallons un-soured this year, and then souring the other 5 for next year...

To be honest though, I'll probably split it into two batches because I think the sour recipe will be a bit different than the normal one. I may keep the recipe the same though, and just vary the amount of spice mix added to each one??? Either way, I'll probably split them up into two batches.

I was looking for some recipes and stumbled onto this thread...

If you were going to let it age and sour I'd think you could use the same recipe for both and about a month before bottling the sour give it a taste and see if you need to add more spices. If you do, you can make a spice tea, let it sit for a few weeks and then bottle. I'm not sure how quickly spices fade or what souring bugs can do with the flavors.

This Trinity has my interest. Anyone get anywhere emailing them or know much about it?

This Trinity has my interest. Anyone get anywhere emailing them or know much about it?
Look o the brewing network. They just did an interview with Jason. They use a blend of 3711/3724 for primary. I have a culture from their old growth that I've used successfully on a few batch. Now on it's third batch it's getting nicely sour. I know they use canned pumpkin in the boil and I believe they use roasted pumpkin in the mash. It's a pretty sour beer but your 100% sure it's a pumpkin beer, well balanced.

Thanks just downloaded it. I' haven't attempted a sour yet but I love them and want to soon.

I don't think its necessarily too late for a sour, but you'll have to stick with a sour mash and no extra bugs in the carboy. Mash it really, really low, sour at least 1/3rd of the mash if not the whole damn thing, then boil it up and pitch a very fast, attenuative strain like WLP001.

You could also bottle half before fall and add some real bugs to the other half. Drink it next year :)

Back