Abita Amber clone, anyone have one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimsta

Reaction score
I was in New Orleans earlier this summer and I loved Abita Amber. Anyone have a good recipe for this delicious concoction?

Here is one from another thread. It is parital mash, but it would be easy enough to convert to extract or AG.

Don't mean to break your heart, but I will probably be trying the chocolate cream stout first (then the Abita Amber clone).

Here is the recipe I was planning on using:

8 oz. US Crystal 40L
4 oz. Munich malt
1 oz. US chocolate malt
2.25 lb American 2-Row malt
4 lb pale liquid malt extract
1/3 oz. Chinook Hops
1/4 oz. Perle Hops
1/4 oz. Crystal Hops
1 tsp. Irish Moss
1.25 cups of ultra light dry malt extract
Wyeast 2308
Water to taste

Mash all malts and specialty grains at 150F for 90 minutes.
Bring brewpot to boil
Sparge with 1/2 gallon of 150F water and add sparge water to brewpot.
Bring water to a boil, remove from the heat and add: Malt Extract Syrup, Chinook Hops and enough water to bring total volume to 2.5 gallons

Boil for 45 minutes, then add: Crystal Hops and Irish Moss
Boil for 10 minutes, then add: Perle Hops
Boil for 5 minutes, then remove brewpot from heat.

Cool wort, then strain into the primary fermenter and add cold water to obtain 5 1/8 gallons total volume.

Pitch yeast at 65F and keep at 60-62F until fermentation starts

2308 - 47-52F for 4 weeks then 57-62F for remainder of fermentation
2206 - 47-52F for entire time

Ferment 7 days or until fermentation slows
Rack and keep in secondary fermenter for 5 weeks.

Priming
1.25 cup of Light DME in two cups of boiled water

I was going to brew it, but never got around to it. Maybe someday.

That recipe above looks like its for the Chocolate Cream Stout, not the Abita Amber.

Here is the Abita Amber all extract, with steeping, recipe.

Steep the following in 2.5 gallons of water at 150 degrees for 45 minutes.
1 lb. Lager Malt
8 oz. Vienna Malt
8 oz. Munich Malt
4 oz. 50 Crystal Malt

Add 5 1/4 lb. Light Malt Extract syrup. Bring to boil, then add 1 oz. Tettnang Hops. Boil 30 minutes, then add 1 oz. Tettnang Hops. Boil 30 minutes, then remove from heat. Cool, then top off with 5 1/4 gallons of preboiled water. Cool to 60 degrees then pitch Munich Lager yeast (Wyeast 2308). Ferment at 55 degrees for 2 weeks, transfer to secondary fermenter and condition cold (35 degrees) for 6 weeks. Prime with 1 cup pale dry malt extract. Bottle and age at 40 degrees for 8 weeks.

Yes, that is a total of 4 months before you get to drink this one. I changed it up a little since I couldn't ferment at the low temp. I am going to put a different yeast in it and ferment at room temp.

That recipe above looks like its for the Chocolate Cream Stout, not the Abita Amber.

Here is the Abita Amber all extract, with steeping, recipe.

Steep the following in 2.5 gallons of water at 150 degrees for 45 minutes.
1 lb. Lager Malt
8 oz. Vienna Malt
8 oz. Munich Malt
4 oz. 50 Crystal Malt

Add 5 1/4 lb. Light Malt Extract syrup. Bring to boil, then add 1 oz. Tettnang Hops. Boil 30 minutes, then add 1 oz. Tettnang Hops. Boil 30 minutes, then remove from heat. Cool, then top off with 5 1/4 gallons of preboiled water. Cool to 60 degrees then pitch Munich Lager yeast (Wyeast 2308). Ferment at 55 degrees for 2 weeks, transfer to secondary fermenter and condition cold (35 degrees) for 6 weeks. Prime with 1 cup pale dry malt extract. Bottle and age at 40 degrees for 8 weeks.

Yes, that is a total of 4 months before you get to drink this one. I changed it up a little since I couldn't ferment at the low temp. I am going to put a different yeast in it and ferment at room temp.

I hope no offense, but I like the looks of the first recipe better. It's definitely not a stout recipe, the chocolate is only in there for a little color. Your recipe is a partial mash, not a steeping recipe, but that's ok.

I am just posting whats in my clone recipe book as the Abita Amber. I have only brewed one all extract so far in my beer adventure. You would probably know more than I would.

I am just posting whats in my clone recipe book as the Abita Amber. I have only brewed one all extract so far in my beer adventure. You would probably know more than I would.

Well, not really! I'm no expert on that beer, that's for sure. But I'm very fond of ambers in general. One of our members here, Bob, wrote a nice wiki article about ambers and the general composition of them. It's in our wiki in the link above. I'm actually making an amber tomorrow, but it's quite a bit different than the Abita. I like citrusy American hops, so the one I'm making is very much an American hop original!

posting so I can find and try this recipe. My brother spent 4 years at LSU and wants me to make him some.

.6lb- 60*L
.4lb-Dark Munich
.5lb- Vienna
1.5oz Perle (45min)
.25oz Perle and .25oz Mt Hood hopps (15min)
Irish Moss- 1 tablespoon
Yeast Nutrient- 1 tspn
White Labs- CA Ale yeast
3lbs- Pale DME
3lbs- Extra light DME
1tsp of Raw organic honey

** Abita uses German Perle hops for their brews, as a Coonass myself who grew up drinking Abita, this is about as damn close as you gonna get. Now I did cheat with the CA Ale Yeast and it fermented out in 10 days total time at 72* ( Technically you're suppose to use Vienna Lager Yeast), bottle conditioned in 2 weeks or 5 days in my keg (I split the batch), now to convert to All Grain. hhmm oh the Raw Honey was just something I did to get a bump on the ABV, shoulda doubled the amount.

Back