Frozen Carboy When Trying to Cold Crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guppergoo

Reaction score
Kegerator thermostat got toyed w/ by the toddler. Froze a scottish in the carboy. I have pulled it out and and defrosting before sending it to the keg. What are the taste/quality repercussions of this, if any?

I'd be more worried about 'did I crack my carboy'....

Lets see, I think the CO2 volume will be severly attenuated, the water will have seperated from the 'impurities' leaving you with a sort of 'condensed beer' and water in the carboy - some stiring to get it all mixed together should be done....

Dont brewers do this to get a bigger ABV sometimes? The water should be on top.

It is totally thawed now --- I will rack it into the keg and see how it goes I guess. The carboy appears to be unphased. It was a glass 5gal secondary that I got from a former wine maker.

Wonder if I should shake it up and let it settle out or just rack as is?

Dont brewers do this to get a bigger ABV sometimes? The water should be on top.

Yeah this is the process that Tactical Nuclear Penguin (~41%) and Sink the Bismark(~38%) use. They make the beer, then freeze it, as it thaws, the Alcohol and other non water impurities come out with some of the water first, the rest of the mostly water based iced (instead of impurity based ice) can then be tossed - litterally as it is a solid chunk.

You can do this at home by making popcicles with Kool-aid (or beer)... at the bottom of the popsicle holder will be all the flavor and sugar and ice at the top. You start eating it (flipping it over) and put all the tasty stuff first and are left with ice at the end.

I might try after racking a gentle stir tobring the watery beer and condensed beer back into more of a beer equilibrium..... Although a proper rack can do a lot of that for you.

It is totally thawed now --- I will rack it into the keg and see how it goes I guess. The carboy appears to be unphased. It was a glass 5gal secondary that I got from a former wine maker.

Wonder if I should shake it up and let it settle out or just rack as is?

As ACbrewer said, I would just rack it as is.

I would try to get the thermostat out of reach of the toddler too ;)

Latest posts

Back