Priming Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrtt78

Reaction score
I made Edwort's Apfelwein and i just tasted it. i am gonna bottle it soon but it is a little dry for me and i would like to add some more apple flavor to it. I was thinking of priming w/ apple juice or concentrate and was wondering if any of the apple flavor would be left after priming and how much should i use?

ps. do i have to be super careful with aerating it when i bottle?

You do have to be careful with aeration, just like any beer and/or wine. Maybe you'd get more responses in the wine thread as many people have carbed and primed apfelwein. I'm moving it there.......

ok so i have to be careful still. can i prime it with apple juice tho?

You can- but I'm not sure of the quantity. Priming with apple juice would not give you much in the way of apple flavor, though- it would ferment out. Did you read anything about this in the apfelwein thread? Someone else must have already tried it.

i primed 5 gallons of hard cranberry/apple cider with 1 can of applejuice concentrate.
the carbonation is lower than when i primed ed's appfelwein with 3/4 cup corn sugar.
i agree with lorenae - i don't think it added any extra apple flavour but it is hard to judge with the cranberry in there

I tried adding a pound of lactose sugar with the priming sugar. I couldn't tell the difference. Maybe I had too much to notice. :drunk:

I heard about 3-4 people added lactose and several add splenda.

Lactose - 1 lb

Splenda - ??

Guessing two teaspoons - per 12 oz glass

If 48 bottles * 2tsp = 96 tsp

48tsp = 1 cup therefore two cups "of Splenda" would be the amount for 5 gal.

:mug:

i dont kno if i want it sweeter but i want more apple flavor. could i just drop some concentrate in my fermentor?

SWMBO thought it was too dry, so I made he a 50/50. Apple Juice & Apelwein.

At 8.5% it still potent when diluted, same a beer.

If you have a 2ndary you could rack it onto two cans of concentrate and let it ferment out. It will get more appley, and boost a little ABV.

Back