Porter Kit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgian Novice

Reaction score
OK, True Brew Porter kit, bubbling has stopped for a few days but it is on the cool side, 62-66 Fah temp. 7 days in primary. Now at 1.022 on hydrometer and started at 1.050. Kit was:
1 Can Dark LME
2 lbs of dark DME
8 oz of Malto Dextrin
Chocolate Grain Malt
1 0z hops

Think it might be bottling time?

Edit - hehe, never mind, had left it alone a bit and noticed that the hydrometer when up a bit to 1.024. I am just impatient. Putting the lid back on. :)

Hm. Seems a litte weak to me. The final gravity seems high for the style. Works out to only 3.675% ABV, if your numbers and my calculation is correct. How many pounds were in that can of dark LME?

Try moving to a warmer area - the increase in temp and gentle agitation involved in the move should spark some more fermentation and eek out a few more points of gravity.

Yep, think you are right Nova. 3.3 lbs, I believe in the can. Dry ale yeast used. It is just cool around here and I have an old house. Waiting patiently. :)

Well, waited a week, put a heating pad under it and got the temp up to 70 for 4 days, just took a Hydrometer reading at 67 degrees and got 1.022. Still not budging. I think I will rack to secondary, pitch some yeast, nutrient, and maybe a bit of honey to see what we can do to drive that down some.

Other ideas?

Warm it up and it should be fine. If you insist on transferring to secondary and pitching a little more yeast, make sure you don't add the honey (in my opinion). You are having trouble fermenting what you have; why add more fermentables. Honey will ferment out even slower...

I would agree with SikkyBrew...don't add any more stuff. Your instinct is to do something to make the brew do what you expect it to do. RDWHAHB!!!

I would rack to secondary and bottle after a week. Worst case your Porter will have a slighlty lower than expected ABV.

I did one of those kits as my second ever batch and had the same results you are seeing. It does tastes great though.

I brewed a Porter and used White Labs Burton Ale Yeast and it seems to doing great. I am racking to secondary tomorrow. Fermentation was so strong that I had to remove the bubbler and insert a blow off tube as foam was issueing out the bubbler and the lid was bulging. Things are now under control.

I'll say it again...resist your urge to take action. If you must, make a sacrifice to the Beer Gods and hope for the best.

GOOD LUCK

Well, my internet was down and couldn't read these replies. It was dark and windy outside. I was bored. . .confused. . .had to brew something. . .had to pitch yeast and combine flavors. . .I was a extract brewer possessed, which is a sad, sad thing. . .

So, I had some fun. Let's see what monstrosity I created. I heated 2lbs of organic honey in a little water, did not boil, but got it dissolved. I also brewed 2 cups of strong Italian roast coffee. I put both in another 5 gallon primary, added 4 ozs of natural vanilla extract, and racked the 1.022 kit porter over it. Tasted the hydrometer sample and have a really interesting flavor. You can taste all of the flavors pretty strongly but never at the same time. They hadn't combined yet so it will be interesting to see what happens. Reading was now 1.032. I pitched Lavlin wine yeast into it and it is on the second day of vigorous fermenting. I think what I will end up with is a 1.15 FG Coffee Vanilla Porter (or scotch ale type) with a hint of honey flavoring. Wife loves it, of course, and I will keep you all posted. :ban:

Been 2 months since the original combination of the flavors. I had racked it off the wine yeast that I used a week or so after combining so it has been aging in a 5 gallon carboy for 7 weeks or so. Flavors have finally combined. Before you would taste it and get the "tang" or "brightness" of the wine yeast, then the coffee, then the vanilla, and a little honey. Now they have all melded together to a nice taste overall.

The primary mistake here was to use the wine yeast. Should have used ale and it would not have this overall "winey" or "bright" taste.

I have primed a keg and racked it into there and will age it for a few months and see what I have come June. :)

i made the true brew porter and i think i let it sit around 1 month in the bottle and its my best kit beer so far. (only done 3 lol) mine where kinda weak in the abv dept also. i drank a 12pack one night and still made it to work the next morning at 0615 lol sad to say i only have one left :(

Back