What Sanitisers and Cleaners are used.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey,
Thanks for the check list. I am sure it's going to benefit many of us. i came across Sanitation Tools that offers some more sanitation tools that one can check for their need. These include:
ATP Bioluminescence Testing
Battery Operated
Chemical Dispensers
Chemical Sprayers
Chemical Transfer
Deodorizer/Odor Neutralizer
Disinfectant Wipes
Disinfectants
Doorway Sanitizing
Drum Handling
Eye Wash Stations
Foamers
Foggers
Green Cleaning
Hand Hygiene
HEPA Filter Vacuums
Hose Drop Stations
Insect Control
Kitchen Timers
Metering Pumps
pH Test Strips
Proportioners
Safety Showers
Spill Containment
Stainless Steel Wipes
Surface Sanitizers
Temperature Tape
Test Strips
Thermometers
Training Tools

what sources are there for affordable cleaners?
tack "home brew" onto anything and the price rockets.

any thoughts on hydrogen peroxide as a sanitizer?
I like star san but it seems to leave a bitter taste, sorry if they're sponsors.
I am designing a fluid circulating bottle washer and trying to find something that won't eat my cheap pump.
Stone party was awesome this morning, though I doubt the were prepared for that kind of turn out.
Happy 4th you maniacs

I have a buddy who sells cleaning supplies for a living. After a conversation about homebrewing, and a few pints of said homebrew, he mentioned that he may be able to get me a product equivalent to starsan at a very convincing price(re:free). I don't know enough about cleaning products to know if this is acceptable for the brewing process... can someone more cleaner-savy than me take a look and tell me what you think?

Here is the MSDS: JohnsonDiversey - J-512TM/MC/Final StepTM/MC 512 Sanitizer

And here is the spec sheet: http://tinyurl.com/ns5tkx

Thanks in advance!

Rob

sounds interesting! I am no chemist but the ingredients in that 51 2 sanitizer sound fierce.
Anything that passes gub'ment standards must be good.
I wonder if it leaved residue?
Let us know

I've had a good scout around here, but I can't seem to get a definative answer.
Would Metabisulfite (sodium or potassium) be usable as a no rinse sanitiser? It seems okay for wine, so I'd assume it would be okay for beer, but I was planning using this for everything but I'd be a little bit scared of killing of any yeast when I bottle.
I would have thought though that the yeast would be well snough established that it wouldn't matter, along with the meta being so dilute. Any advice apperciated!

the local target has been having sale on oxi clean and i picked some tubs up for cheap...6.50 per tub

sounds interesting! I am no chemist but the ingredients in that 51 2 sanitizer sound fierce.
Anything that passes gub'ment standards must be good.
I wonder if it leaved residue?
Let us know

Thanks for the input Veng. I am going to give it a try. I'll let you guys know how it works.

I just read through this entire thread and a couple others looking for some information on Oxyclean. I have yet to find what concentration anyone is using for cleaning with Oxyclean! If I remember correctly, I did see somewhere that 1 tbsp per gallon was being used, but I'm not sure. Can anyone offer up the mixture they are using?

Just a quick comment here, I usually find OxyClean generic in the dollar store. I'm not at home right now (posting from work), but I think it is called Amazing Oxygen Cleanser, and from what I remember, I believe it is cut with only a bit of Soda Ash or some other basic chemical.. maybe it is baking soda. So it is just what homebrewers are looking for - no scent, either. And it works just as good as the brand name stuff. I love it, and I'm about out now.
And another FYI - you can check the MSDS on most brewer's products and find cheaper alternatives just like I did with this product. However it seems that the board has done a great job in discussing most alternatives already. So if you are cheap, like me, that can be the way to go.

I have a buddy who sells cleaning supplies for a living. After a conversation about homebrewing, and a few pints of said homebrew, he mentioned that he may be able to get me a product equivalent to starsan at a very convincing price(re:free). I don't know enough about cleaning products to know if this is acceptable for the brewing process... can someone more cleaner-savy than me take a look and tell me what you think?

Here is the MSDS: JohnsonDiversey - J-512TM/MC/Final StepTM/MC 512 Sanitizer

And here is the spec sheet: http://tinyurl.com/ns5tkx

Thanks in advance!

Rob
I'd stay away from it, or at least rinse after using, even though it bills itself as a no-rinse sanitizer. From what I remember about quaternary ammonium sanitizers, they are technically only food-safe after the liquid has evaporated from the surface of the object. They are popular for wiping down food-prep areas and as a final rinse for pots and pans in kitchens, but the intention is that most if not all of the product has evaporated away before the sanitized objects come in direct contact with food.

I don't recommend oxyclean. Last week I used it to clean a carboy. I had to leave town so I just left the oxyclean and water soaking in the carboy--when I got back a week later it had ETCHED THE GLASS! You can actually see streaks of little etched bubbles in the interior of the carboy. Not sure why this happened but the carboy is completely useless now!

I seem to remember some people using StarSan on carboys and Iodophor on bottles (since StarSan is clear and foamy, Iodophor is not foamy but stains).

I use StarSan, but I'm thinking of getting that non-foamy one for bottles. When I use squishy thing to sanitize bottles, they get too much foam in (which makes for too much liquid residue later on since I don't have a tree)

Iodophor -- 1 oz in 5 gallons of water, no need to rinse.

When I brewed in the brewpub, I used bleach with success -- and no, it didn't pit the stainless. I used a capful (from a gallon jug of bleach) in 15 gallons. At home, I've used a capful from a smaller container in 5 gallons and airdried, with no effect on flavor.

I randomly switch between StarSan and Iodophor. Keeps the bugs guessing.

Me too. These the two best no-rinse sanitizers we use in brewing, you can do no wrong with either. Or both.

I put a lot of good info and answered a lot of good questions, and put in tips, as well as the links to two great podcasts on iodophor and starsan in this thread. It probably will answer any other questions you may have on the topic.

I encourage you to listen to the podcasts, and make up your own mind as to which you choose to use. You can go wrong with neither of them. The rest is up to you.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/

I don't think "everyone" has a preferred sanitizer. Bleach, Iodophor, and Star San seem to be the front runners. Another front runner is confusion over what constitutes a cleanser and what a sanitizer. Cleansers clean matter off surfaces. Sanitizers kill organisms on surfaces. I started out with bleach, but once I became aware of the superior qualities of Star San, I began using it and never looked back.

Listen to Revvy, I have read 50% of his informational topics and he knows what he is talking about. Or at least he acts like he knows and since I don't know any better, I believe every word he writes. If he told me to throw dirt in my beer to clear it, then I would and I would guarantee it would work, because Revvy said it.

First I mix StarSan with Iodophor. Then I mix Acidulated Bleach with One Step. Then I blend the two toghether.

If you listen closely. You can hear the buggers scream and then POP!

I still use bleach. Always have... not too much trouble to do a hot tap water rinse. hot water breaks down the bleach faster than cold, and I mix my bleach really strong. 1/2 cup or more to 5 gall. (i just free pour bleach, it's CHEAP!) never had any problem getting rid of bleach using hot water rinse.

Have been interested in trying StarSan... just haven't had the need, no problems with using bleach. Brother tried Idophor, had less than great results ended up with a sour batch. ALTHOUGH he's not known for his best brewing practices. I also didn't like the stained equipment. I usually replace my fermentation bucket at a particular level of staining... I wouldn't know when to replace if I used Idophor! LOL.

StarSan. I buy a 5 gallon water jug of distilled water and mix up a batch. Capped and stored it keeps for some time.

I still use bleach. Always have... not too much trouble to do a hot tap water rinse. hot water breaks down the bleach faster than cold, and I mix my bleach really strong. 1/2 cup or more to 5 gall. (i just free pour bleach, it's CHEAP!) never had any problem getting rid of bleach using hot water rinse.

Have been interested in trying StarSan... just haven't had the need, no problems with using bleach. Brother tried Idophor, had less than great results ended up with a sour batch. ALTHOUGH he's not known for his best brewing practices. I also didn't like the stained equipment. I usually replace my fermentation bucket at a particular level of staining... I wouldn't know when to replace if I used Idophor! LOL.

Balsy re: the hot tap water rinse. Most will avoid that due to hot tap water not being sterile...but others have luck with it. :mug:

Back