55 Gallon Stainless Steel Drumb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAD

Reaction score
I'm from the centeral Ohio area, just outside Columbus, and i've seen a 55 gallon stainless steel drum just up the street. It doesn't look like it get much use and I was thinking about making an offer on it. I don't realy have the room to be expainding my brewery right now, and this is just to cool to not be used for beer makeing. Would anyone buy it from me for say $100?

You're not going to get 100 for it, specially if its used. Generally speaking, they go from 10-50 bucks on craigslist, and used ones aren't very good for homebrewing unless you can REALLY clean the inside.

Many used ones house motor oil/spent grease and the like.

Sean From NH

Well right now it's just sitting upright full of water.
I just want to know if someone would want it before i make an offer on it. My wife would kill me if I bought it and couldn't get rid of it. What would people pay for it?

Just ask the guy what he wants for it and post that info here so if anyone local wants to go there and buy it they can. Takes your money out of the loop since you're just wanting to resell anyway. Or are you trying to make a quick buck off it? Understandable if you are. But you take the risk of getting stuck with it.

If the bottoms are attached with a weld, they could be used for brewing. If they are simply crimped on over a thin rubber gasket, they will probably fail after repeated heating. You could probably sell them for scrap for $40 each.

if it looks anything like the one I have I paid $1.50 per pound at the scrap yard.

MVC-739F.JPG

Are we really talking STAINLESS STEEL here? New these guys go for $800+. Reconditioned at $500. Totally sure it's SS and not just your norm steel drum? There's one right now on eBay for $450.

Back