yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scarysnare

Reaction score
I want to try a big beer like 10% or more and I have had really good results with safale 05, will one pack do the trick or should I pitch two? I don't have any experience with starters. any suggestions

Usually you do not want to make starters when using dry yeast. You can check mrmalty.com and/or yeastcalc.com to find information and use the calculators to determine the amount. I feel it would certainly be more than one pack without going there to check it.

Don't you mean rehydrate? Each pack has 200 billion cells. Two should be plenty.

Check Mrmalty or Yeastcalc for the cell count, but I wouldn't make a starter with dry yeast, just buy an extra packet if you need to. And rehydrate.

I wasn't talking about using a starter for the dry yeast, I was just saying I have never used a starter which is ideal for big beers, I think. my other question now is what is rehydrate?

my other question now is what is rehydrate?

From “Yeast” by Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff:
Every yeast strain has its own optimum rehydration process, but the basic procedure is as follows:
1. Warm the dry yeast to room temperature.
2. In a sanitized container, prepare an amount of sterile tap water at 105*F (41*C) equal to 10 times the weight of the yeast (10 ml/g of yeast).
3. Sprinkle the dry yeast on top of the water, trying to avoid setting up large, dry clumps. Let it sit for 15 minutes, then gently stir.
4. Once the yeast has reconstituted, gentle stir once again to form a cream, and let sit for another 5 minutes.
5. Carefully and slowly, adjust the temperature of the yeast to within 15*F (8*C) of the wort temperature.
6. Pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel, ideally as soon as possible.

I do step 5 by adding cooled wort in increments to bring down the temp.
Also, check out this sticky about dry yeast:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/dry-yeast-faq-441967/

Latest posts

Back