BeerSmith - Partial Boil Extract IBUs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryush806

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm well versed at using BeerSmith with all-grain recipes but I want to brew an extract recipe from AlphaPryo that looks great. This is my first time using BeerSmith for an extract recipe. I tried putting the recipe into BeerSmith with some odd results. The file is attached.

When you look at the contribution from the hop addition in the ingredients box, it says 17.7 IBUs. When you look at the total batch IBUs it says 23.3. Why the difference? I only have one hop addition so if it gives 17.7 IBUs shouldn't the final IBUs also be 17.7? Do I just not know how to use BeerSmith with extract recipes? :drunk:

View attachment Peach Wheat.bsmx

It might have something to do about the assumption of partial vs full boil and calculating for less/more utilization.

I would try changing the equipment profile to an extract type set up and adjust the boil volume accordingly and use that profile instead of your regular AG profile

duboman said:
It might have something to do about the assumption of partial vs full boil and calculating for less/more utilization.

I would try changing the equipment profile to an extract type set up and adjust the boil volume accordingly and use that profile instead of your regular AG profile

I did make a new equipment profile for extract with the 4 gal pot I plan to use. BeerSmith calculates a 3.something gallon boil. That's why this is so confusing to me. It seems like everything is set up right but I still get wonky numbers.

If the final IBUs had gone down I wouldn't have questioned it since you dilute with top up water in the fermenter. But since the IBUs go up I am very confused...

Didn't get much response to this so I emailed Brad Smith. One of the reasons I enjoy using BeerSmith is that Brad is willing to provide great customer service. Here is his response:

Hi,
If you have a late extract addition, then the individual hop additions will be wrong (they are calculated without taking into account the late extract addition). The total IBUs for the recipe is correct however. I'm looking to correct the individual contributions in a future version.

Note that this only applies to late extract addition recipes - other recipe work just fine and give you the correct numbers in both places.

Cheers!

Brad Smith

Back