Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made this a little differently. Started with the base ingredients and hops. Let it ferment out for 3 weeks, transferred and crashed for another couple of days. I also Mashed at around 155F to get more matly caramel flavors. Tasted pretty good without the vanilla. I added 2 TBPS vanilla extract when racking to the keg as I didn't want too much vanilla flavor/nose. After some trial and error I added a total of ~2oz vanilla to the 5gal batch. It ended up being a bit more than I wanted, but it wasn't overpowering. I didn't add any Lactose cause the beer was pretty sweet and malty as is.

Unless you like really sweet and vanilla flavors I would recommending some trial and error sampling. I'd also recommend mashing at a higher temp if you can. If you're doing the extract version some lactose or Malto dextrin might be the way to go.

It turned out to be a crowd pleaser. Not exactly my favorite, but I'll agree it goes great with a good pumpkin ale.

Hey I've got a question,

I'm looking to do a PM and im comparing the AG and extract version of this recipe.

I don't really get why in this one you have 7lbs:3lbs for 2 row and wheat malt respectively, but in the extract version you have 3lbs:3lbs for the light dme and wheat dme.

I would like to create a similar recipe using a good deal of lme and some wheat malt for the mini mash but confused about which ratio to use?

Any input on which turned out best? Also, the Pm doesnt have perle. I see its in small amount but should I add it too?

Here's what I got through BeerSmith. It's for a 5gal batch.

4.26 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 48.09 %
1.87 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 21.13 %
1.61 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 18.14 %
0.69 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.77 %
0.43 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.87 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 18.5 IBU
0.25 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (40 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (20 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU

8oz of vanilla extract seems like a bit much. how much of the flavor carries through? how vanilla-ey is this brew?

This was discussed throughout he thread, you should skim through to see what some of the opinions were. I used 8oz and it seemed a bit much at first, but after some time in the keg was perfect IMO. Some others thought 4oz was too much.

Best thing to do is when you're ready to bottle/keg add a little at a time until you get the vanilla taste you're looking for. For bottling you would do this in the bottling bucket, and for kegging just add it straight to the keg. Same goes for the Lactose.

Just to note what I did, I only added 2oz of vanilla to the keg, and no lactose at all since I mashed at 155F.

I'm down to my last few bottles of this. I added exactly the amounts of lactose and vanilla recommended in the recipe. For my first few bottles, the vanilla sweetness was just a little too much in your face. After a couple of weeks the subsequent bottles were perfectly mellow and delicious. Now after two months the vanilla has largely disappeared and the bittering hops really show their bite. I don't think I've had a batch change this much in just a few months. So if you follow this recipe, give it an extra week or two in the bottle and then drink it quickly.

Added it to the primary, will add more prior to kegging.

Quick question... did y'all split the four ounces of Lactose between primary and prior to kegging? I mean, 2 ounces to primary, and 2 ounce to keg? or 4 ounces each?

I boiled 4 ounces in 2 cups H2O and added it to primary. Just trying to figure it out, kegging tonight.

*update*
I went ahead and kegged, but wasn't happy with the foam, so I added another four ounces and re-force carbbed. I am SO glad I did.
also, I used 4 lbs of wheat, and a half pound of corn plus the correct AA% with my own hops.............. DEE-LISCIOUS!

I'm planning on making this beer this upcoming weekend, as I was hoping for a sweeter beer for watching football this fall.

Is there a particular kind of 60L grain that imparts more of a caramel flavor, or will any 60L grain work?

I did the allgrain version. I didnt find this beer to be all that caramelly actually. It did have a lot of sweetness from the lactose at both end of boil and bottling. It was balanaced by the hops were a bit stronger than it seemed they should be. I loved this beer quite a bit. I especially love the biscuity quality from the yeast and the vanilla. My biggest gripe is that people alwaya "think" its a cream ale and its not. Its one of those caramel candy things with the white center.

I'm still a bit confused with the size of this recipe. It says:

Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Size: 4.64 gal
11.0 gal collected, 45.0 min; Total Runoff: 11.0 gal

Is it a 5.5 gal recipe that you boil down from 11 gal? It says to add 9 gal of water for mash and sparge, that seems like a lot for 5.5 gal, but isnt enough for 11 gal. And what is the "45.0 min" mean after "11.0 gal collected" is it how long it took to collect your runnings?

I have recently brewed, kegged, and gave away it away for a christmas presents to co-workers, firends, and family. I did everything this recipe called for except I added 8oz of lactose at the end of the boil about 2 minutes left. After fermentation, I kegged and aged it. Now its gone. My thoughts, when I plugged this recipe in beersmith using the Cream Ale style, the IBU, OG and ABV's, where in the red zone for the style. But I disregarded my feelings about the red zones and brewed this recipe following each direction except using more lactose. Brew session went great no issues. Fermentation went awesome, ultra clear brew (Give thanks to irish moss). Keg carbed it. Took first taste, and bam! I was hit with bitterness, then sweetness, finished with vanilla. I did not expect for it to be as bitter as it was. I followed the hop schedule. I feel with a little tweaking this ale has potential. I'm waiting to hear back from the people I gave it to as presents. Maybe its just me. Anyone else have the same issue?

One thing here.

This is a hybrid ale not a "cream ale".

The name should be read like this "vanilla Carmel cream"-ale not "vanilla Carmel"-cream ale. It's supposed to be as I understand going after those little caramels with the white creamy inside.

I have made it and the hops are definitely there and quite nice. This works well since the vanilla is perceived as "sweet" and it has a fair bit of lactose as well. If it were less bitter I think it would be too sweet.

I used klosch yeast and it gave nice biscuity taste. The only area I might improve on is a bit more caramel taste plus and this could have been a mash issue on my part it seemed to be a bit hollow in the middle.

Hey guys, I'm going to give this a try..... Are you adding lactose at primary? Before pitching, or at boil?

Mash at 153?

I'm looking for cream ale recipes and tripped on this. I'm rubbing my eyes in disbelief at the Vanilla - 8 ounces?!?!

I made an attempt at an orange-creamsicle beer last year - added vanilla and orange extracts to each bottle (in varying amounts and products in order to taste-test the different outcomes) and every beer that had vanilla was terrible. And I did only 2 ounces (averaged out into each bottle of course) per 5-gallon batch. They got the lowest scores out of all of them...

Does the vanilla "settle down" while in the primary/secondary? Should I have NOT waited and added at the bottling phase? Or might it have something to do with being too diluted so as to just add a "weird" flavor...?

Oh and P.S. I did use real vanilla - my wife is a baker. :)

I did this recipe and used a real vanilla bean. The brew came out sweet with hints of vanilla. It is also bitter so tone down the hops.

I brewed it yesterday with a yeast starter on the Wyeast. It took off like gangbusters! I love starters.

Today it's bubbling away. I'm missing out it's not stinking up the room with rhino farts. :p

This beer is the most elaborate thing I've brewed to date. I'm using a pure vanilla "Fiesta Cocina" I bought in Mexico. This product's concoction is FANTASTIC alone. No extract. No preservatives. This stuff is Vanilla on steroids............. so I only used half added to the primary for what the recipe calls for.

I can't wait to try this! Truth be told, the name alone intrigued me beyond any other cream out there. :fro:

Thank's Cheesefood!

Well,

I cut my "special" Vanilla way down. I only used 3 oz. and it still came out much too vanillay for my taste. My son loves it.

I can taste the cream but no carmel. The vanilla just kicks my @ss. I will brew this again, just I'll use the same potent vanilla 1 oz. in primary and 1 oz. in secondary.

I am brewing this tomorrow. I pulled out the perle hops completely and subbed the tettnang for hallertau. What do you think? making this for mom, who requested a vanilla beer, but did not like the vanilla cream ale i brought home for her from the local micro brewery.

edit: Changed my mind and decided to keep the perle.

Thinking of brewing this up tomorrow. Got a couple questions. Could I use cascade or williamette hops for this? I saw somewhere earlier in the thread that someone used cascade but they never said how it turned out. But I have both in the freezer at home and would like to use em up. And could I add a pound of caramel for some more caramel flavor? Would that make it too sweet? I plan on using 4oz of vanilla extract when I rack it into the keg. Should I do 2 in primary and 2 in secondary instead? I am also on the edge about the lactose. With the additional pound of caramel would I need the lactose?

I also have problems with efficiency. How much grain should I add to offset this problem? I have been coming in about .005 to .010 below my OGs and I really want to nail this one.

Sorry for the long post.

I'm planning on making this tonight or tomorrow morning. I managed to snag the last bit of lactose from my store, and I'll exchange some of the hops since we're low on some of the ones required. I guess I should leave those for the customers...

I'm debating cutting down on the vanilla, but I tend to like heavy vanilla flavor. Has anybody used vanilla beans instead?

I'm planning on making this tonight or tomorrow morning. I managed to snag the last bit of lactose from my store, and I'll exchange some of the hops since we're low on some of the ones required. I guess I should leave those for the customers...

I'm debating cutting down on the vanilla, but I tend to like heavy vanilla flavor. Has anybody used vanilla beans instead?

I used vanilla beans soaked in vodka for somewhere around 10 days, added to secondary. This has been bottled for a week. Opened a bottle yesterday to give it a shot and it is apparent that it needs much more time to condition. Cant tell you exactly how it came out yet.

Figured it was about time for some closure on this thread. I'll be frank; I absolutely hate this ****. I catch one whiff of it and it stays with me in my nose for hours. It has made my bottling bucket and most of my equipment reek of vanilla and I smell it every time I enter my basement to check on my other beers - despite it having been bottles over a month ago. Every time I clean bottles, one or two bottles that contained this concoction are in the mix and the misery of washing bottles is further worsened by the stench releasing from my bottle cleaning tub.

With that being said, my girlfriend and mom totally love this stuff. My mom has been having a couple per week which is pretty out of character as she prefers wine. My girlfriend asks me to bring some every time I'm over. Checked this morning and I'm down to less than 10 bottles.

Unfortunately I will be brewing this again, against my will, for my girlfriend and mom. Thanks for the recipe!

Figured it was about time for some closure on this thread. I'll be frank; I absolutely hate this ****. I catch one whiff of it and it stays with me in my nose for hours. It has made my bottling bucket and most of my equipment reek of vanilla and I smell it every time I enter my basement to check on my other beers - despite it having been bottles over a month ago. Every time I clean bottles, one or two bottles that contained this concoction are in the mix and the misery of washing bottles is further worsened by the stench releasing from my bottle cleaning tub.

With that being said, my girlfriend and mom totally love this stuff. My mom has been having a couple per week which is pretty out of character as she prefers wine. My girlfriend asks me to bring some every time I'm over. Checked this morning and I'm down to less than 10 bottles.

Unfortunately I will be brewing this again, against my will, for my girlfriend and mom. Thanks for the recipe!

Geez, how much vanilla did you use? I thought this recipe sounded good late summer beer since I just made a bunch of homemade extract. Maybe you used too much or a poor quality extract? I was thinking of toning mine down before I read your post! 8oz does seem like a little much.

On another note, has anyone experimented with fruit in this recipe? Seems like it could be a good base for some tart cherries or raspberries in the secondary instead of the second round of vanilla. I was thinking 5gal as is, and 3gal with tart cherries from Northern WI instead of vanilla in the secondary.

Geez, how much vanilla did you use? I thought this recipe sounded good late summer beer since I just made a bunch of homemade extract. Maybe you used too much or a poor quality extract? I was thinking of toning mine down before I read your post! 8oz does seem like a little much.

At this point I dont really remember how much I used, although I know I did not use an extract but rather high quality beans scraped and soaked on vodka for a couple days. I want to say it was around 4 or 5 whole beans.

Ya that's a ton of vanilla. Pretty sure 1-2 beans scraped in the secondary per 5 gallons is enough, unless you're going for super vanilla. I think I'll try this one and tone it way down, maybe add some tart fruit to a couple gallons of it. I'll report back

Hey guys,
Some members of my family are lactose intolerant, so I am planning to mash at a higher temperature to reduce fermentability (and increase residual sweetness from the malt.) By my math, the lactose should be about 2.5% of the total sugar in the wort.

If the original target mashing temperature is 153*, what temperature should I mash at to increase non-fermentables by 2.5 percentage points? There's a BYO Magazine article that says 158* is the upper limit, but gives no indication of how large an effect it will have.

PS - on REAL vs IMITATION vanilla, I suggest trying to find a copy of the issue of Cooks Illustrated which explains that the main flavoring chemical in vanilla is "vanillin," which is identical in real and imitation vanilla. However, real vanilla contains a variety of subtler and far more volatile components which are easily driven out by heating (like the aroma in aroma hops, which you add at the end of the boil.) For anything you heat (like cookies), you will not be able to tell the difference. Whether the volatile components in real vanilla will survive six weeks of fermentation and conditioning is a mystery to me.

Well,

I'm brewing this for the 3rd time at the request of my son. My son loves it! I'll cut down the "Fiesta Cocina" pure vanilla extract to 3 oz. total. He loves a sweet beer since he's only 21.

I do like the name though! ;)

If you plan to make this, be sure to use real vanilla extract. The imitation vanilla usually has preservatives that will harm the yeast. You could also use a couple of real vanilla beans cracked in primary.

I found some real vanilla extract that, while pricey, was free of preservatives.

@ Novabrew... I meant to reply to ya a couple of days ago. I always take copious notes on all the brews I do. When I brewed this I bought "real" pure vanilla extract and not imitation. I put 4 oz into the primary and then 4 oz into the secondary. It seemed like a lot of extract, but in the end it wasn't too overpowering, and not underdone. I hope your brew turns out good. DO NOT USE THIS MUCH VANILLA.

Yeah, it took a few months for the flavors to mellow. You'll taste the vanilla for sure at first. I still have some from this summer and the flavor profile is much more subdued now after sitting in the bottles for about 3-6 months.

Best thing to do is when you're ready to bottle/keg add a little at a time until you get the vanilla taste you're looking for. For bottling you would do this in the bottling bucket, and for kegging just add it straight to the keg. Same goes for the Lactose.

I'm down to my last few bottles of this. I added a total of 4 oz. of vanilla recommended in the recipe. For my first few bottles, the vanilla sweetness was just a little too much in your face. After a couple of weeks the subsequent bottles were perfectly mellow and delicious. Now after two months the vanilla has largely disappeared and the bittering hops really show their bite. I don't think I've had a batch change this much in just a few months. So if you follow this recipe, give it an extra week or two in the bottle and then drink it quickly.

1st try Priming:
>1cup Lactose
2 oz vanilla in the Primary.
2 oz. in the Secondary. (Be careful! This may be too much vanilla for some people. Me too!)

I'm adding the Lactose in the last 15 minutes of the boil. I'll add the vanilla in the primary, because I don't want to risk losing any that bonds to the trub. So far, it smells fantastic but I'm still at the bittering hops boil. I think this should end up with a nice caramel flavor and a good hint (perhaps a suggestion size amount) of vanilla. I've had vanillas with way too much flavor and they tasted too much like candy. This should have a decent balance.

So good. Can't even explain it - you simply must make this beer. I let it prime for almost 2 weeks before fridging it, then cracked one tonight after only about 30 hours. Great head, good lace, nice color, good body and nose.

I brewed it yesterday with a yeast starter on the Wyeast. It took off like gangbusters! I love starters.

Today it's bubbling away. I'm missing out it's not stinking up the room with rhino farts.

This beer is the most elaborate thing I've brewed to date. I'm using a pure vanilla "Fiesta Cocina" I bought in Mexico. This product's concoction is FANTASTIC alone. No extract. No preservatives. This stuff is Vanilla on steroids............. so I only used 1 oz. added to the primary and 1 oz. added to the secondary.

Truth be told, the name alone intrigued me beyond any other cream out there.

Well,

2nd Try:
I cut my "special" Vanilla way down. I only used 3 oz. and it still came out much too vanillay for my taste. My son loves it. Too much, all you taste is vanilla.

I can taste the cream but no carmel. The vanilla just kicks my @ss. I will brew this again, just I'll use less of the same potent vanilla.

3rd Try:
Pure Gold example: 1 oz. in the Primary & 1 oz. in the Secondary. Fantastic! Best beer yet. And I've experimented this 3 times. The vanilla should be an undertone here, not over powering, but a nice afterthought in an excellent beer.

Thank you Cheesefood for the start, but like everything in life, practice makes perfect.

Latest posts

Back